Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Metal plate beneath Linothorakes or Spolades
Quote: If you're down to scraps, and are hung up on doing things as cheaply and easily as possible (which rarely seemed to concern the ancient Greeks!), scales still make vastly more sense.

Unless you have been given a bolt of fine linen, suitable as a royal gift as some linen was, or even cheap linen or leather that you manage to bleach real white or dye a pretty color, and don't want to cover it with crappy bronze scales. It is the notion that Bronze is the most attractive form of adornment that I was decrying. My understanding is that scales don't work so well under material, plates, even small ones, work better and are less likely to stab you.

Quote: I can't prove that this thing is NOT a hidden bronze reinforcement for a leather or linen cuirass, but some of you guys seem to think that this means your theory is right.

I would hope not. This is simply for discussion, not to inspire someone to waste a few hundred dollars on plates. But if there is any further evidence for a Greek coat of plates I can guarantee that we will never know unless someone asks the questions in this thread and gets people looking for them.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"

Messages In This Thread
Re: Metal plate beneath Linothorakes or Spolades - by PMBardunias - 08-22-2010, 05:12 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spartan Aigis and the Spolades PMBardunias 16 4,365 09-01-2010, 11:15 AM
Last Post: hoplite14gr