Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Metal plate beneath Linothorakes or Spolades
Quote:My point here was that the rivets ARE obvious in these sorts of armour, from all cultures. Why would Greeks be unique in always covering them with some sort of disguising decoration?

Fulfilling my role of diabolical advocate, I don't claim they always covered the rivets. We know what rivets look like on greek vases, because they presumably riveted shield aprons onto their support- the first three images down on the left. Note the shield blazon, a new type of spitting cobra perhaps? There are countless dots and circles that you cannot prove are not rivets, some look just like the shield apron fasteners- see the right side of the image below. Then there are things like the bottom left below that are just weird! Notice this corslet fastens on at least the right, if not both sides- I think there is a loop of the knot on the right side. So I could say that obvious rivets are common on T-Y corslets and you cannot disprove this. This is a major problem of having so little data to work with and dealing mostly with art. I could say anything round and in the right place is a rivet, even if it were simply decoration.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"

Messages In This Thread
Re: Metal plate beneath Linothorakes or Spolades - by PMBardunias - 08-24-2010, 02:18 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spartan Aigis and the Spolades PMBardunias 16 4,363 09-01-2010, 11:15 AM
Last Post: hoplite14gr