Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Metal plate beneath Linothorakes or Spolades
Quote:
PMBardunias:3hqakxlz Wrote:Hey Ruben, on the topic of "hoops", I can't recall if I shared this image with you, you'll find it interesting. The front of the armor is covered with overlapping hoop(?) segments of metal or organic constrction. Since it is on the outside, they are oriented in the reverse of the way plates are riveted on the inside of an armor, here the top overlaps the bottom like a snake belly. It is the way that later Roman segmented lorica overlap, but of course they lack a base material. The image is from a red figure showing Achilleus' armor dating from 500-450 BC attributed to Oreithya.

I'm not quite sure I understand what's going on there with the epomides. Is the whole cuirass folded double vertically? What's that little flat behind the epomis? How do we know which side the epomis is attached to? It looks to me like the cuirass is folded double lengthwise, which is why the epomis is shown face- rather than side-on, in which case those overlapping segments are on the back and not the front. It's very interesting, and perhaps its an indication that portions of T&Y cuirasses could be made of more rigid leather plates.

Wow. Very interesting painting. It looks to me like the artist is attempting to portray the armor as simply rolled up like a rug. This looks exactly like what it going on here. Perhaps this is how the armor was stored?
Scott B.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Metal plate beneath Linothorakes or Spolades - by rocktupac - 08-24-2010, 03:19 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spartan Aigis and the Spolades PMBardunias 16 4,363 09-01-2010, 11:15 AM
Last Post: hoplite14gr