Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Metal plate beneath Linothorakes or Spolades
Quote:
Thunder:3545i4yh Wrote:Also, weren't many of the scale reinforcings to the cuirass made on the sides?

There are numerous examples, and maybe even the same number actually, of the T-Y with scales on the front, or only on the abdomen or chest. I wouldn't say they mostly showed up on the side.

Thanks, Scott. I've gone through an obscene number of vases now and I know Scott has too, and one thing I would caution is making too much of the notion that only the right, shieldless, side was reinforced with scales. While it is true that I have not seen only the left side covered with scales, I have seen only the front so covered and the sides plain, and I get the impression that usually when one side was, both sides were. I'd recommend to anyone just browsing the Beazley archives or CVA with any free time you have. I have been amazed at the sheer variability and sometimes oddity of what turns up. For instance it was sheer accident that I noticed the "banded" T-Y above and we recently found evidence of belting the waist.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"

Messages In This Thread
Re: Metal plate beneath Linothorakes or Spolades - by PMBardunias - 08-25-2010, 11:40 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spartan Aigis and the Spolades PMBardunias 16 4,363 09-01-2010, 11:15 AM
Last Post: hoplite14gr