Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Metal plate beneath Linothorakes or Spolades
Quote:Alcaeus is not valid evidence because his fragments are consciously "Homeric" in style, and furthermore, despite attempts to stretch the introduction of T-and-Y corselets back in time, there is no evidence that such a thing existed when Alcaeus wrote

Paullus and I are going to let that arguement die, but this reference perhaps needs explanation. The earliest image I have been able to find for a T-Y is on the Francois Krater. The scene is the Kalydonian boar hunt and the armor is worn by Atalanta (and perhaps the man behind her). This dates to about 575 BC, which to me puts it within sufficient proximity to Alcaeus's reference to a "corslet of new linen" to make the T-Y form possible, if not probable.

Note the yoke is fully formed and extends down the front of the chest, but the shape is rounded instead of the later assymetrical form that I believe aids arm movement. More importantly, there are no pteryges. This is literally a Thorax, protecting the chest alone. The abdomen appears to be covered with a thick belt(s).
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"

Messages In This Thread
Re: Metal plate beneath Linothorakes or Spolades - by PMBardunias - 08-28-2010, 01:56 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spartan Aigis and the Spolades PMBardunias 16 4,363 09-01-2010, 11:15 AM
Last Post: hoplite14gr