Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Metal plate beneath Linothorakes or Spolades
Quote:I'm sorry Paul,but i just see a chiton there!

Since it is likely that the armored organic thorax grew out of a normal chiton, there may well be just an exaggeration of features with a heavier material involved. In comparison with the other women on the vase, these shoulders appeared to extend far lower and be attached by a thong, which to me in a combat/hunting context a thicker garment used as armor. Examining the other women on the vase though, I agree that the low extension could be exaggerated and I was unfamiliar with these long pins. These pins are not common on the women wearing this type of garment, but I have found some, luckily on a small panel of the same vase so there can be little doubt, that shows Giannis to be correct. The middle-right woman even shows a decorative string that could be connecting the pins. At least it is not a quiver...
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"

Messages In This Thread
Re: Metal plate beneath Linothorakes or Spolades - by PMBardunias - 08-29-2010, 06:33 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spartan Aigis and the Spolades PMBardunias 16 4,365 09-01-2010, 11:15 AM
Last Post: hoplite14gr