Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Early 1st cen. AD Germanic double edged sword
Speaking of the Celtic world, that I am familiar with, but also for the Germanic, as Harjaz has written, we have no real way of knowing which side they carried the weapons.
The iconography of the classic art show the Celts (Barbarians) generally represented with the sword carried on the right side.

[attachment=4538]IMGA.jpg[/attachment]
(1. Cratere of Leipzig, n. inv. T 952; 2. Stamnos of Bonn, n. inv. 1569; 3. Cratere of the Louvre, n. inv. 9830001)

But, in the archaeological discoveries the record of cases is various (weapons in the graves found also at the left side of the body and especially is not possible to make a sure connection among the grave deposition and the real position of the weapons when it was used).

I think that some ideas can be made looking the well-known stone sculptures of the European Iron Age…

To make some examples, it can be useful starting from the Hallstattian art of south Germany. The warrior of Hirschlanden (Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany) is a great example, strongly influenced by the Mediterranean culture, influence that comes from the Adriatic coast, he shows his Celtic characters in the torque, the headgear and sword / dagger, put in the middle but tilted towards the left side.
In the same period (third quarter of the VII - end of VI century B.C.) in the center-north of Italy (Lunigiana) the phenomenon of the “statue stele” appears. All of this stone sculptures represent warriors and some of them carried in the right side a short sword “ad antenne” typical of the western Hallstatt culture.
Between the end of the Hallstatt and the beginnings of the La Tene there is the famous warrior of Glauberg (Hessen, Germany), with the weapon on the right side.
In the Iberian late Iron Age (100 BC - 50 AD) the statues of the "Iberian group" appear: the two warriors statues of the Lezenho hillfort (Vila Real, Portugal), with the daggers on the right side, the Warrior of Citânia de São Julião (Braga, Portugal), dagger always on the right and the warrior of Saint Comba hillfort (?)(Vila Real, Portugal) with the dagger on the left.
In France, in the Late Iron Age period (LT D) there is a warrior of Mondragon (Vaucluse), with the sword on the right side. The warrior of Vachères is not useful because it is a representation of an Auxiliar Infantryman of the Roman army in the LTD2b period, where the armament is inspired from the Roman ones.
The situation is quite complicated, and the differences (not only techniques) among sword, short sword, dagger, war knife are in some cases not so clear…

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--------
SM.

ὁπλῖται δὲ ἀγαθοὶ καὶ ἀκροβολισταί (Strabo,IV, 6, 2)
I can assure you that holding a sword left-sided, while fighting in a close phalanx, like ancient Celts and the first German did, make it difficult to drawn it without troubling the man fighting on your right side....
So i think, after seeing also the iconography, that when a warrior fought in a close formation, it had to put the sword right-sided...
Massimiliano Salviati

[url:2wmrb1i0]http://www.sippeulfson.it[/url]
Hi

Can someone post me a picture of the scabbard's mouth? (i don't know how to call it).

the opening where you put the sword in. I want to know whether this is a normal opening or if it is triangular in shape.

Tnx!

Rgds

Yves
Yves Goris
Quintus Aurelius Lepidus
Legio XI Claudia Pia Fidelis
Reburrus
Cohors VII Raetorum Equitata (subunit of Legio XI CPF)
vzw Legia
Flanders

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Documentary on Early Runes and Germanic Languages Harjaz 6 1,964 04-16-2013, 10:27 PM
Last Post: Redwald
  Early Alanic Sword Reproduction Alanus 6 3,754 03-29-2011, 09:42 PM
Last Post: Alanus
  Early Germanic Combat Techniques Anonymous 2 1,364 01-25-2011, 12:58 AM
Last Post: Harjaz