Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Love, marriage and sexuality: aids and handbooks
No probs. I'm actually sorting through my stuff later tonight ready for a presentation the end of April. I'll set some pigments, flasks and cosmetic implements out and photograph them over this weekend and post them.
I have a pic of a colleague 'tarted up' as a Flavian lady complete with hairpiece which I'll OK with her to send to you- there's some lovely bits of satire about Roman wigs and hair in the ancient texts.
Last year I produced a booklet about ancient cosmetics to raise funds for our heritage site. I'll try and source one and scan it for you, it's referenced throughout.
I'll see what i can do Wink
Memmia AKA Joanne Wenlock.
Friends of Letocetum
Many many thanks! That would be fantastic!:-D
Valete,
Titvs Statilivs Castvs - Sander Van Daele
LEG XI CPF
COH VII RAET EQ (part of LEG XI CPF)

MA in History
Hi,

Here's a few references that I have used to get you started for now:

Secondary sources:

Stewart, S. (2007) Cosmetics and Perfumes in the Roman World, Tempus

Pointer, S. (2005) The Artifice of Beauty, Sutton Publishing Limited

I have taken translations of the ancient texts from :-

(You should be able to source all of these ancient texts free online- let me know if you have any trouble finding these and I'll send you a link).

Juvenal- Satires VI

Seneca, Epistles: Gummere, R.M.( 1917-25) Moral Epistles. The Loeb Classical Library

Ovid, Medicamina Faciei Feminiaae: May, J,L.(1930) The Love Books of Ovid, Rarity Press

Pliny Naturalis Historia: Bostock, J, Riley H.T.(1855). Pliny the Elder, The Natural History. Taylor and Francis

Martial, Epigrams II: Bohns Classical Library, 1897. Transcribed by Roger Pearse, 2008. Ipswich UK

Ovid Ars Amores III: Translation by Kline, A.S, 2001 (www.poetryintranslation.com)

If you are going to count perfumes as well:
Pr. Donato's work

Also, Dioscoredes 'Book one- aromatics in 'De materia medica'

I have put a couple of pics of my 'Flavian for a day' colleague in an album in my profile- more pics to follow
Friends of Letocetum
Hi,

I have uploaded some more pics to my album. Please feel free to use any you may find useful. I'll post some more pics of pigments tomorrow.

Regards,

Jo
Friends of Letocetum
Hi Joanne,
Looks awesome! Thank you very much, my partners for this presentation are very enthousiastic!
Thanks for the references as well, these may proof very useful.
Valete,
LEG XI CPF

MA in History
Quote:Hi,

I have uploaded some more pics to my album. Please feel free to use any you may find useful. I'll post some more pics of pigments tomorrow.

Regards,

Jo

Hi Jo,
Could you describe what "products" you used for your Flavian colleague?
Valete,
LEG XI CPF

MA in History
Hi Sander,

Regarding my colleague's makeover.

Substituted safer cosmetics:
Skin-Roman-White lead (cerussa)

Modern substitute-Instead of the original white lead paste I used a zinc oxide pigment based cream (Sudacream, used to treat nappy rash!hehe!)this also contains paraffin wax and lavender oil.This was dusted with anti dust chalk in place of more white lead powder

Eyes-Roman-Antimony sulphide (stibium)

Modern substitute- Instead of using antimony sulphide I used a dark grey modern powder eyeshadow blended with olive oil which had been previously heated and thickened with beeswax.I also thickened her eyelashes with this.

Eyelids-Roman- Saffron powder (crocus)-red gold colour
Modern substitute- Instead of using pounded saffron (which can irritate the eyes) I used a regular reddish-gold modern eyeshadow powder blended with beeswax and olive oil.

Other eyeshadow pigments used included malachite (green), azurite (blue) manganese dioxide- (black/ grey)

Non substitued safe original cosmetics:

Eyebrows- Frankincense ash blended with rose essence and olive oil.
Cheeks- Red ochre powder (iron III oxide) blended with chalk
Lips- Red ochre powder blended with a tiny amount of alkanet root, beeswax and olive oil.

I found the cosmetics rather difficult to apply compared with modern products. They smudged easily and had to constantly keep being reapplied.

I have also just posted a pic of some actual pigments which were used in my album, so you can see just how brightly coloured they were.

The very best of luck with your studies! Big Grin

Regards,
Jo
Friends of Letocetum
Here is the famous original 'Roman makeover' by Sally Pointer, which was a massive source of inspiration for us

Roman makeover
Friends of Letocetum

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Marriage, law and inheritance Nathan Ross 5 3,051 10-13-2015, 02:55 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Roman Sexuality Doc 7 3,060 10-28-2007, 12:30 AM
Last Post: MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS