Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman \"Abandonment\" of Britain: Fact or Fiction?
Alanus wrote:
Quote:I stated that Britain was still a Roman province in 470. Am I wrong or right?
A friend of mine, my Legio III commander, also believes something similar and swears the legionary standards remained in Britain until recalled by Emperor Romulus in 476.

I don't know whether Britain was still a province but I think that Britain still had ties to Rome because politically during the reign of Vortigern there was always conflict between the pro roman faction led by Ambrosius Aurelianus and the anti-roman faction led by Vortigern so there must have been a lot of people who still had fond memories of Rome. If Ambrosius was Riothamus as some people claim (Leon Fleuriot author of book Les Origins de la Bretagne which is written in French unfortunately) then that could be an explanation for why Riothamus went to the aid of Rome and disappeared from the pages of history in 470ad.
Michael Kerr
"You can conquer an empire from the back of a horse but you can't rule it from one"

Messages In This Thread
Roman \"Abandonment\" of Britain: Fact or Fiction? - by Michael Kerr - 01-23-2013, 08:50 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anachronistic Morality and Child Abandonment Sean Manning 1 331 12-14-2021, 12:16 AM
Last Post: Crispianus
  Roman road in Britain predates Rome in Britain Endre Fodstad 4 2,029 03-25-2011, 02:30 PM
Last Post: Chariovalda
  Favorite Roman fiction richsc 21 5,921 10-19-2004, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Anonymous