Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Laconian short sword
Quote:Well,the point is that it is Plutarch who writes these anecdotes,some 4-5 centuries after the supposed events happened. This makes them very dubious of course.

Yes, that was my point. :-) I do enjoy reading Plutarch, but I think he must be read with caution. If these particular quotes could be substantiated by more contemporary sources such as Herodotus, Thucydides, Xenophon etc, then that could lend some validity to the theory.

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad
Spartan art from 700 to 600 B.C depicts swords with blades between 60 to 70 cm
But a couple of art examples are not the norm. The shorter versions as I said before co existed and in Corinth Acheological Museum exist a bronze dagger with a wide flat blade reminding of a puggio (800 B.C)and it is clearly a military weapon as it comes from a warrior's grave. Fragments of a similar dagger exist in Rhodes,
Both places share doric heritages as does Sparta. So combat dagger was used by Greek warriors from Late Geometric era at least.
Except Plutaechs anectode there is no reference to "Laconian sword".

Kind regards

P.S. attached shord sword from Hermitage mid 5th cent BC.
[attachment=1017]stpererermitag.jpg[/attachment]
The Vienna example is shorter.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

8th century funeral. Piraeus Museum.

Very short swords compared with the "Naue".

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Id like to thank everyone thats contributing to this thread! Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  dory + spartan short sword Quintus Aurelius Lepidus 1 1,425 03-27-2013, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Greek Short Sword Johnny Shumate 8 3,660 02-23-2006, 08:03 PM
Last Post: Johnny Shumate