Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alexander statue
Edited, and dont worry wont say nuffin more since i said all i needed to say... Smile

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:The Greeks should stop acting so childish about the Macedonians using Alexander the Great for their own benefit.
I wonder if we ought not to lump an entire culture going back at least 3000 years into the same bag here. How is it we are able to declare an entire nation/historical nation "childish"?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I think you accomplish that Dave by judging them on their current actions.

Man...I'm glad I live in Canada lol. Like I mentioned, the only time our nationalistic pride gets poked is when we lose in hockey. Then Jupiter help you. And even then we don't go and riot in the city that beat us, we burn and loot in our own! Just to show you how mad we are. Seriously, can anyone remember the last time you heard Canada "angry", that resulted in more than us talking sternly to whomever made us angry?

Legion: TBD
Quote:
Quote:The Greeks should stop acting so childish about the Macedonians using Alexander the Great for their own benefit.
I wonder if we ought not to lump an entire culture going back at least 3000 years into the same bag here. How is it we are able to declare an entire nation/historical nation "childish"?
I think that is most likely the smallest of issues, think of the squabbels between Greece and Turkey about certain small Islands, or Cyprus! Have a look what is still bubbeling in the Balkan states. Most likely most countries could present "old bills", and that is especially so in Europe, as at some time, some one from almost every Europeen country went stomping through other peoples countries. Is just the question how long do people want to present these "old bills", WWII, WWI, Napoleonic wars, the thirty year war, the roman invasions, recent archeological excavations have shown that even in times way before the romans large scale invasions and massacars have taken place. Anyone seriously think, things are going to improve, by slapping on the table time and again, these sad things from the past?
Quote:I think you accomplish that Dave by judging them on their current actions.

Man...I'm glad I live in Canada lol. Like I mentioned, the only time our nationalistic pride gets poked is when we lose in hockey. Then Jupiter help you. And even then we don't go and riot in the city that beat us, we burn and loot in our own! Just to show you how mad we are. Seriously, can anyone remember the last time you heard Canada "angry", that resulted in more than us talking sternly to whomever made us angry?
Hmm so you are forgetting the squabbels with Quebec wanting to seperate from the rest of Canada, the war with the States in 1812, where there was a try to press northwards? Or the grumbeling about who may use the so called northwest-passage? You might be right that for many Canadians the world is just ice hockey and BBQ but that is making it a bit very easy. I just have to think of various Japanese fishing boats that where impounded in the late sixties and early seventies, for fishing in canadian waters. I remember from that time some rather nasty bumper stickers that are non PC by todays standards!
Also think of the now-a-day grumbeling of the large scale sale of drinking water from canadian lakes to the south, or the issue about not being able to sell canadian beef to the states.
I haven't forgotten, and I know my country's history well. We just don't dwell on things, and bring up the past in present arguments. Have you ever heard of Canadians taunting Americans in a serious/demeaning manor about how we burned the White House in the war of 1812? Nope. It doesn't come up.

We certainly don't take things from the past and use them as ammunition for current issues. The only people that do that are in Quebec, and that is a VAST minority of people now. The others are Native Indians, but if you know their story, they have a right to be upset (but that's another issue). Either way, you certainly don't see us behaving like others in the news...I like to think we've found a balance between common sense and nationalistic pride.

It seems the older the country, the more inherently silly it becomes about past glories.

having only one neighbor and a relatively short history surely helps...
Macedon
Forum rules
George C. K.
῾Ηρακλῆος γὰρ ἀνικήτου γένος ἐστέ
Quote:having only one neighbor and a relatively short history surely helps...
Both of those are relative. Canada only shares a border with one state, but Russia, French Saint Pierre et Miquelon, and Danish Greenland are very close. Canadians whose only ethnic identity is "Canadian" (and maybe "white") rub shoulders with ones whose identity includes things like "Blackfoot," "Korean," and "Sikh." (not to mention the tensions between the west, central Canada, and the maritimes; or Ontario and Quebec; or BC and Alberta; or Quebec and Anglo Canada). About 20% of the population of Canada are immigrants, about half of those from South or East Asia, and only a tenth from the US (source: Statistics Canada).

Having a short history is partially a choice: most people could dig up grudges from their homeland or their ancestors' homeland (my great great grandparents had to leave Ireland during the potato famine, so should I hate the English for manufacturing it?) Even if they just identify as Canadians, 150 years is plenty of time to build up grudges. I get the impression that Greeks and inhabitants of the former Yugoslavia take quite a different attitude to their history than say the British or Italians.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Quote:Have you ever heard of Canadians taunting Americans in a serious/demeaning manor about how we burned the White House in the war of 1812? Nope. It doesn't come up.
Never in a serious/demeaning manner. But still.. Big Grin
Three dead troll and the War of 1812!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
How embarassing...I got through half of that then I had to stop it lol. I won't even ask how or where you found that lol.

Quote:How embarassing...I got through half of that then I had to stop it lol. I won't even ask how or where you found that lol.
My buddy Chariovalda played a tape of them when we drove back from Paris back in 2005, after we collected our dished scuta from the mr Bouillon. :lol: :lol: Brilliant stuff (not just that).

I mentioned it because I agree with you, it's so a-typical of the US-Canadian relation that this song is so very tongue-in-cheek.

Now, the Dutch know of a lot of wars with their neighbours.. :mrgreen:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
We also still have the spoils... Wink

[Image: ng-mc-239.jpg]
(counter of the English flagship taken by the Dutch during the Chatham raid in 1667)

That the English are very good losers proves the following article from 1967:

http://www.deruyter.org/CHATHAM_Commemor..._1967.html

Smile

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:The Greeks should stop acting so childish about the Macedonians using Alexander the Great for their own benefit. Alexander the Great was NOT EVEN Greek ! he was MACEDONIAN ! who cares if the original country lay somewhere in the North regions of what now is the Greek country....

M.VIB.M.

What nonsense! Go away and study your Alexander again ...

He was the son of Temenid (originally from Argos) Greek king of Makedon - Philip II - and thereby of Dorian/Greek persuasion on one side

and

He was the son of an Epeirote Greek princess (Molossian tribe) - Olympias - on the other.

Even if you try to make an argument that the Makedonians themslves where not Greeks (which I and many would challenge) the fact remains that the Makedonian royals were acknowledged as being Hellenes.
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]