Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hr-replikate Vindonissa eagle pendant - a question
Yes, there you go! Thanks Tarb!
I have been looking for squared strap buttons to match this though,
so far all have been too small.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:
Gaius Julius Caesar post=292227 Wrote:So you have this items classification?

It is listed with "Verteidigungswaffen, Knopfschliessen und Riemenschurzteile," that is, with apron parts. I will need to try and check the referred works to see why, since the item is highly unusual for an apron terminal.

In the book, the author classifies this and other eagle piece found (see the pic) as the bottom and top attachments to a baldric.
[attachment=1382]ScreenShot2011-07-28at1.57.06PM.png[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

quando omni flunkus, mortati
Quote:The Vindonissa catalogue says very little about it apart from saying that it is made of tinned brass, but it does give the details of where it was originally published:

A. Gansser-Burckhardt, Das Leder und seine Verarbeitung im roemischen Legionslager Vindonissa. Veroeff. Ges. Pro Vindonissa 1 (Basel 1942)

If someone has access to this they might have a look and see if there is anything more there about it.

Crispvs

In the book, the author classifies this and other eagle piece found (see the pic) as the bottom and top attachments to a baldric.
[attachment=1383]ScreenShot2011-07-28at1.57.06PM.png[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

The bottom and top attachments of a baldric? :?
Can you explain that, as I cannot visualise it!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Apparently, the author believed the first piece (the one discussed here) to be attached somewhere in the lower part of a baldric and the second - somewhere high. Unfortunately, he does not explain his logic as far as I could see. Considering the lack of any evidence to support his assertion, I would say it is highly debatable.

The point is, though, that this only quoted reference to the piece does not classify it as an apron end. Thus, there is no given reason or context to do so—this was the question asked in the beginning of this thread.

In my opinion, since the Romans apparently put metal parts on virtually any strap of leather, the piece could have been attached to anything. Additionally, as the author of this thread correctly observes, the known shapes of apron terminals supported by images and finds differ, so I would say calling this an apron terminal is a stretch.
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

I'd like to know how that works, too. The hinged dangly bit at the bottom causes a bit of a problem with that theory, as far as I'm concerned, not to mention there being no sign of any kind of clasp mechanism.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Ah..the hinge looking bit is that only! Hinge looking! It is not a hinge! Or at least not on the reconstructions I have! So...could be anything really!!
I will still try to use them as apron terminals, until someone comes up with a more plausable use! Smile
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Oh! I didn't know that. Not so sure now.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Yes, it is not a real hinge on the original, the side view in the catalogue shows that clearly. So your replica, Byron, is correct.
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

There is no hinge to this thing at all but looking at the fact that it has four holes, with two in the eagle wings and the other two in the lower crescent one might conclude it fitted a leather with four rivets maybe a horse bronze or the dangle bits of a vexilum.
Brian Stobbs
The text suggests that the part you are talking about is at the top of the strap, and that the other part, which has rests of a hinge at its lower end, was the strap end. All with questionmarks. Makes more sense than having the stiff plate without hinge at the lower end, IMO. Fits somehow to the longer flat Augustan danglium plates...
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
I stumbled across what appears to be the original item on http://www.roma-victrix.com/armamentariu...ulaeII.htm.

Direct Link for the pic: http://www.roma-victrix.com/armamentariu...eII07b.jpg
--------
Ross

[url="http://galeforcearmoury.blogspot.com"] Working on a segmentata.[/url]
That crossed my mind too Christian.

Thanks for the image Ventus!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I use one of these terminals on the tip of one of my belts. It aids in threading it through the buckle.
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
[quote="Primvs Pavlvs" post=295715]I use one of these terminals on the tip of one of my belts. It aids in threading it through the buckle.[/quote]

Thought I'd resurrect this thread. Any chance we could get a picture of that as a belt tip?

I think they look really cool as terminal ends or maybe up at the top of the apron.
"The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones"

Antony

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  pendant pteruges? richard robinson 0 925 06-02-2013, 01:55 AM
Last Post: richard robinson
  Warthog tusk pendant WIP MDF 13 3,579 12-30-2010, 04:43 PM
Last Post: Matthew Corbin