Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Events that allow women portraying soldiers?
Quote:You can lead a horse to water, as they say, but you cannot make it drink.
Easy. Kit has to conform to exact dimensions of the find for historical accuracy, plus a percentage adjustment for 21st Century height. Problem sorted.

Disclaimer: Only joking.

Quote:"Pretty much none of us looks like a Roman. We live differently, we eat differently,we have 2000yr later fenotypes."

Very true, but one thing which has not changed is that there are still two distinct sexes and most people are pre-programmed to recognise both of them pretty much instantly.
Well, there were these rugby players I used to drink with who would say otherwise, especially post-match while on tour. But I'll spare the details.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
In my limited knowledge of the topic, I am unaware of events that will not allow women to portray Roman legionaries (I can't speak for other reenactment periods), only individuals who voice their opinion that women shouldn't reenact legionaries.
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
YEAH !!!

[Image: 9.jpg]

ROMAN LEGS !!!
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Sorry, forgot to include the steroid users..... :roll:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I think the major issue is what Crispus said above:
Quote:Most events are invitation only, meaning only the invited groups can take part and so any non-female policy an organiser might have will largely be seen to by the choice of the groups invited to take part. If the organiser does not wish to have women portraying soldiers, then he is likely only to invite groups who do not allow woman to portray soldiers, meaning that any policy which the organiser might hold will be invisible to most participants.
He who pays gives the orders.

And: I wasn´t joking, above. I´m really interested what you guys think of men portraying women roles. Do you see it differently from women portraying male roles?

@ Piotr:
Quote:And whence the assumption that women have to pretend to be men? I mean - hiding leg shapes, why not start using fake moustaches? We are not Roman soldiers, we are reenactors. We are XXc people wearing stuff that sort-of looks like what they wore 2k years ago. Experimental archeology can be done by men and women alike.
What does experimental archaeology have to do with this?
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Hi Martin,

In our group (Comitatus) we do allow women to dress as soldiers, but they really do have to work hard to look the part. We recreate the Fourth Century, which I believe is easier than early periods for women.
Breasts and bums can be a problem for some women but it depends what you are like and indeed what you wear. Not every woman is 'blessed' with large assets! I know men with bigger breasts than me!! :lol: :roll: Actually it is often a smile that can give away a woman.

If a woman takes it seriously then she should be physically fit, and continue to re-access how she looks, moves and behaves during the event.

The only time I have had to step back from recreating a legionary has been when we are doing filming and the production team want closeups of legionaries, or shots of them without helmets. It would be silly of me to be there. If I am wearing a helmet it may be a different matter or in a wider shot there is not a problem if I portray the soldier well.

I know people will say you can always spot a woman/man. But when you consider body shape/size/weight/age/and indeed hair length - it isn't that simple and some women handle it better than men, and visa versa :roll:

It is less about each event and more about each group and the choices they make. So you will need to do the same thing.
You may not want women as soldiers but as 'Medusa' has already said maybe offer them something on the gladiator front instead...

Good luck!
Amy Wallace

A member of Comitatus Late Roman
Reconstruction Group
www.comitatus.net
I'd rather see less overweight, too old, too short, those that cannot tell the nice end of their sword from the naughty end and generally unfit MEN in any lineup .... but then, if we eliminated those people then they'd be few left !

I have to face the fact, that although I'm still fit, slim and can fight effectively/throw my javelins I would be, in real life, due for retirement.

[size=150:1nectqej]John Nash[/size]
http://www.vicus.org.uk
Romans and Britons wot fight ........
Well, I doubt many tall Romans would be as tall as average modern humans.
But I agree mostly with that sentiment! But old soldiers were a fact as well!
Caesar, Pompey and Crassus were no spring chickens by modern standards even, but I'm sure at least Caesar and Pompey, if not Crassus, could run circles aroung many modern men half their age.

As long as the person makes an effort to be authenticm which is what it's really about, then it should be no major issue. Smile

AMMIANUS said:

Quote:Not every woman is 'blessed' with large assets! I know men with bigger breasts than me!! Actually it is often a smile that can give away a woman.

Fortunately, we have none in the group.... :wink:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
"Old" is such a relative term. What was the typical roman male life expectancy? Was 45 old? Maybe 60? Also, being "old" for soldiering is not the same as being "old" for a carpenter. Etc.

But that is a different thread. Smile
--------
Ross

[url="http://galeforcearmoury.blogspot.com"] Working on a segmentata.[/url]
Quote:Breasts and bums can be a problem for some women
Breasts and bums can also be a problem for some men. And bellies. Especially bellies. But a good squamata can do the trick Wink
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:But a good squamata can do the trick Wink

You can't beat a seg for that, I'm afraid.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:
Vortigern Studies post=292656 Wrote:But a good squamata can do the trick Wink

You can't beat a seg for that, I'm afraid.

Most definately, 100%, yes.....
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Just to throw my two cents in, we in Legio XX had this debate on Rat years ago about allowing Jenny Cline (remember her?) to dress out as a soldier, and Matt Amt decided she could, as long as she explained to the public the differences. As a serving US Army major with duty in Afganistan she's more a soldier than most of us anyway. I still have kit set aside for her if she ever shows up.

Besides, this is a volunteer hobby of enthusiasts, so encouraging participation trumps other factors.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
First of all, Iam sorry to restart an old topic, but I rely have to comment.

When I read this topic the following is what I get is.

1. Telling a male that is 30kg to fat to loose some weight or stay away is not acceptable despite the fact that he can do something about it.
But saying no to a female is ok, despite the fact that she can't do anything about her sex.
2. Having males that physically is not "fit" is ok, but having females, even if fit is not.
3. Having a male reenactor in a poor kit, that no nothing about the period is accepted but having a female as a soldier is not.

Yes, that is not what you write, but clearly that is the attitude in some groups.

The rules should be the same for everyone.
I do acw reencatment. Do I get annoyed when I see a female reenactor (as a soldier) with long hair hanging loose so its shown??? Yes, just like I would if it was a male.

If you expect females to have "correct body form" then the same should go for the males.
If you want realism, require everybody to march 30km in full kit and fight a mock battle at the end of it...

And by the way, most westen democracies have signed the Declaration of Human Rights... and It is actually illigal to discriminate based on sex in many countries...

I think we can and should accept many "changes" from history, as long as we are clear about when we change things and why.
Thomas Aagaard
Here we go again..... :mrgreen:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel