Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Events that allow women portraying soldiers?
Women can pad out the armour in the right places.
They can emulate male mannerisms.
They can develope senses of humour.
They can make the same efforts that some men do to be authentic.
It's a free world.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Why, some differences in female warrior appearance can be certainly acceptable 8)
http://www.collegehumor.com/video/655084...rmor-sucks
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

quando omni flunkus, mortati
That is brilliant Alex. I love that site.

Groups are going to do what they want. You don't have to agree with it, but in the end, there is nothing you can do about it. So what's the point arguing about it?

Legion: TBD
Quote:Groups are going to do what they want. You don't have to agree with it, but in the end, there is nothing you can do about it.

A single lawsuit could do wonders.
Go for it mate!
Then all the men who are rejected can sue as well!
Brillient idea, pal!
And also groups that don't allow you to be members of other groups!
The lawyers will love it!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Yeah....that very thought rather disgusts me. Suing because you cant join a private group...epitomizes what is sad and pathetic about humans.

I'm with you there, Matt.

(Similarly, why can a female sports reporter go into the shower/locker room of male athletes, but a male sports reporter can't go into the shower/locker room of a female athletic group?)
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Yeah exactly! I'm all for equal rights! But it needs to work both ways,
Not just when it suits someone with an agenda!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Yeah....that very thought rather disgusts me. Suing because you cant join a private group...epitomizes what is sad and pathetic about humans.

You would be suing for the inability to join because of your gender.

thomas aagaard, who started this again, says it all. A club is not prepared to discriminate on the grounds of age, height, weight or ethnic extraction (asian legionarys ?) which are likely to be equally inauthentic (depending on your period potrayed) BUT will discriminate on gender ....... ???????????????

Double standards anyone ?

[size=150:1nectqej]John Nash[/size]
http://www.vicus.org.uk
Romans and Britons wot fight ........
If you can name the groups, go for it! :wink:
Personally, I wonder if this is just a lot of smoke being blown by individuals trying to impress their lady friends?
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Sorry I started it again.

But for me its clear from the topic that there are two standards in some groups.
Quote:In our group (Comitatus) we do allow women to dress as soldiers, but they really do have to work hard to look the part. (...)
If a woman takes it seriously then she should be physically fit, and continue to re-access how she looks, moves and behaves during the event.
So only females have to be "physically fit"?
It might not be what is meant... but it can be read that way.
Shouldn't all reenactors, male and female be "physically fit" if they want to be takes seriously as a roman legionary?

Anyway, just wanted to point out the "Double standards".
Hopefully some will think about it... and that the only thing I hoped when restarting the topic.
Thomas Aagaard
Quote:In our group (Comitatus) we do allow women to dress as soldiers, but they really do have to work hard to look the part. (...)
If a woman takes it seriously then she should be physically fit, and continue to re-access how she looks, moves and behaves during the event.
So only females have to be "physically fit"?
It might not be what is meant... but it can be read that way.
Shouldn't all reenactors, male and female be "physically fit" if they want to be takes seriously as a roman legionary?[/quote]

Anyway thank goodness all the women have no senses of humour, so you'll never see them laughing at any old, fat blokes representing Roman soldiers. Phew.
Louise Mumford
Before the double standard banner gets raised let us consider a few points. First of all, private groups are alowed to set their own rules based on whatever standards they deem pertinent to whatever it is they are doing. This has to my knowledge rarely been challenged successfully in court. The reason being is that they are private and not public.

Second...if anyone here thinks that there were no rear echellon, out of shape slovenly legionaries that were fat from garison duty or non-combat roles then you are being gravely unrealistic. So putting reenactors in such an inflexible light is illogical. Maybe they wouldn't have been fat wearing armour in the front lines...maybe they would. Maybe they would have in parts of the empire that didn't require a lot physical presence. Peace time armies sometimes get rusty and out of shape.

Thing is we don't know...so I'd be careful saying it was "this way or that", and just leave each group alone. If they want to do something one way...that's fine. Don't like it? Start your own group. Period.

Quote:Go for it mate!

I'm not a girl. Honest.

Quote:Then all the men who are rejected can sue as well!

Rejected on what grounds? If on the grounds of "no ........." or "no "........" - sure they could.

(edited by moderator for use of language against forum rules. Please note that even where English is not a persons first language, certain words are unacceptable.)
I think Magnus has answered the issue correctly.
There are double standards that are written, and some that are not.
if you think there are not double standards in groups that allow women to portray
soldiers, you fooling only yourself. And that, is all I have to say on this!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel