Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boudica Movie
Gibson would take the Roman side in my opinion. Braveheart/The Patriot revealed a bit of his anti-British sentiment.
After talking to my wife (who like most women would rather watch a home improvement show than an epic movie) about this topic she reminded me of 2 really good epic movies we failed mentioned that were successful.

Troy directed by Wolfang Petersen

The Messenger: the story of Joan of Arc directed by Luc Besson
Quote:Gibson would take the Roman side in my opinion. Braveheart/The Patriot revealed a bit of his anti-British sentiment.

Anti-English, more accurately. The Romans would be the English in this equation - Imperialist Oppressors, with the 'celtic' Britons (ie Scots/Irish) as the freedom-loving rebels. The story virtually writes itself. Braveheart with chariots. One Woman. Stands Up. Against an Empire...

I know it's a matter of opinion, but I don't really care how commercially successful a film is. Hall Pass was a hit. Doesn't make it any good. :wink:
Nathan Ross
Hi

Gibson would take the Roman side in my opinion. Braveheart/The Patriot revealed a bit of his anti-British sentiment.

(Nathan thought the same as me but just beat me to the post!!)

I feel the opposite actually and think both those films took more swipes at the English in particular rather than the British.

'Boadiceaheart', could certainly mine a similar vein with the Celts once again trouncing the dastardly, cowardly, stupid, upper-class Romano- English before shooting themselves in the foot ( they have to shoot themselves because they can not rely on the Romano-English to do that because they suffer from the stormtrooper effect of course and can not shoot at anything) allowing the Romano- English to historically win!

Malick + Epic, I can almost hear the groans of studio bosses on the other side of the world!

Seriously though, an interesting choice for Director as I love 'The Thin Red Line' and 'The New World'. I can visualise Cate Blanchett, my choice for Boudica, striding slowly through the marshes of East Anglia to the strains of James Horner! Ralph Fiennes as Suetonius and Alan Rickman as Catus Decianus.

There can not have been much money available for advertising 'Centurion' , the cinema I saw it in didn't even have a poster outside! In contrast 'The Eagle had TV trailers' on weeks before release. It was however made by Film 4 who also ran small TV slots on how it was made, in between films.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
I get confused how to address the people in the UK: British, or English. English I assume is on par with Welsh, Scot, N. Irish.
British is used to describe all the people in the U.K? :???:

Personally, I think Gibson is a bit of a misogynist so seeing his take on a female hero would be different to say the least.
Quote:I get confused how to address the people in the UK: British, or English.
Don't worry - even people in the UK have problems with this! 'British' refers to an inhabitant of Britain, politically (if not strictly geographically) used to refer to Great Britain, which in turn comprises the countries of England, Scotland and Wales (the UK excepting Northern Ireland). You could therefore be both Scots and British, English and British or Welsh and British, but not Scots and English, for example (although some people do try). Until recently, and still in some other countries, English was often used as a general synonym for British, which annoys the Scots and Welsh no end.

Quote:Personally, I think Gibson is a bit of a misogynist so seeing his take on a female hero would be different to say the least.
Yes indeed, although Boudica does end up dying, shortly after being brutally flogged and her daughters gang-raped... Plenty of opportunities for misogyny there... Confusedhock:
Nathan Ross
Quote:
Narukami post=294891 Wrote:TV series -- quite right and that might prove problematic for Hadrian or Boudicca.
But now I come to think about it, a TV series based on the reign of Nero would work very well - not only Boudica but also Corbulo in Armenia, the rise of Tigellinus, the fall of Seneca, the Pisonian conspiracy, the murders of Agrippina and Poppaea, the Great Fire, Gory Executions, civil war... it's got HBO written all over it! :-D

Yes, a sort of I, Nero, series that could take us through the Jewish War and The Year of the Four Emperors, perhaps ending with the fall of Masada or the destruction of Pompeii & Herculenium and the death of Titus. Or something like that.

Just a thought.

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:I get confused how to address the people in the UK: British, or English. English I assume is on par with Welsh, Scot, N. Irish.
British is used to describe all the people in the U.K? :???: .

Sir or Ma'am will do! :wink:

(Tongue very much in cheek from a half Scots half Geordie (not English!!) Big Grin )
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
I'm English and I'm also British. In truth I probably have more in that mix (with both smatterings of Welsh and French Hugenot ancestry here and there). But basically I'm English - by birth, by culture, by attitudes, love of Shakespeare and cricket for example.

I'm also British. That is the concept of nation-state identity that binds us, and it is a good one - like being American is for its own hugely varigated population. Those of us who have long roots in this country (white northern Europeans) can easily identify with various aspects of our long and varied history - especially with the different regions/countries within these islands. Those who have arrived more recently (post imperial fall-out/commonwealth immigration/European movements) obviously can't equate to such things with their roots being elsewhere. However, the notion (and nation) of Britishness helps to deal with this expansive cosmopolitanism. Britishness makes us all equal as citizens of this state. I think that is worthy, healthy and long may it continue. It needn't be at odds with the more internal desire for another kind of belonging unless that becomes in itself overly nationalistic. That is why I do not favour the dissolution of the union anticipated by both Scottish and Welsh nationalists. I believe the majority of English, Scottish and Welsh (and clearly some Irish) people value the union. This is a small island(s) and separating into three of more political entities really doesn't make a lot of sense other than satisfying the desires of minorities of who want some sort of clannish exclusiveness.

Those internal variations have been accommodated via devolution and that should surely satisfy the level of identity most seek? It is a very telling commentary that the Scottish Nationalists did well in recent elections - NOT because they favour independence, BUT because they administered the country quite well. The majority of those polled said they supported the SNP on most things - but NOT independence, which clearly gives the nationalists something of an identity crisis and problem of aspiration resolution.

Scotland exists as an entity within the UK. It always did and always will. The same is true of Wales where the desire for separation is even less. England is also beginning to find its own way in this. The situation for England is a little different because within it are a variety of strong regional identites. It is also by far the biggest of the three countries with hugely the largest population (including many migrant Scots, Welsh and Irish). England is also perhaps more connected with the identity of Britishness because the capital of both Britain and England is London. That is where our government and head of state reside etc. However, despite statements to the contrary, the Scots were once so keen on the Union (it was under a Scottish king we connected) that many started to call Scotland, North Britain and the GPO often referred to it as such.

This whole process has some way to run I guess, but history (specifically ancient) reminds us that we were 'British' long before the other identities arose.
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]
Quote:Gibson would take the Roman side in my opinion. Braveheart/The Patriot revealed a bit of his anti-British sentiment.

Yes anti-British and as somebody else pointed out - anti-English ... to add to his other less distinguished qualities as a human being. To think I once thought this guy was quite cool (Lethal Weapon films)! I did admire both Apocalypta and The Passion but The Patriot caused a storm in cultural, historical and political circles over here. It was downright inflammatory. However, the blame also lies with a German director introducing elements of Nazi attrocities against allied troops and French civilians (rounding up people and burning them in barns) and then trying to suggest the British army did likewise in colonial America (which it never did). Plus the whole expansion of the Banastre Tarleton episode. There is a lot of shame attached to that film...

Braveheart is also a very skewed form of history.

Gibson will have to do quite a lot of penitence in my book to ever gain any credibility again.
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]
Quote:That's so weird. Why did Eagle cost so much more than Centurion? I would never have expected the latter to do so much worse, either...

The Eagle - Bigger names in the cast, bigger, more complex sets and more of them, more CGI, bigger fights.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]

Ah, no. They revealed an anti- ENGLISH sentiment (the Scots are British after all).

If Gibson made a Boudicca film, all the Romans would be English actors and all the Britons would have either Scots or Welsh accents and the whole thing would be a highly entertaining, violent, well shot, historically innacurate mess.

Just like Braveheart.
But with less bare arse slapping.
Possibly.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
Centurion really had no kind of launch in the UK either. It didn't have any kind of decent run in the cinemas and didn't even go on general release. That it is doing better in DVD sales and becoming something of a cult movie pretty much follows the path trodden by Neil Marshall's other success Dog Soldiers.

Matt B is right. Following the opening scences of the destruction of the ninth Centurion was essentially a chase movie involving small skirmishes.
Marc Byrne