Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cavalry Tunic with woven belt pictures
Quote:From this it would appear your avearge (Roman) infantry soldier thought the cavalry gaudy and effeminate! :grin:

Graham.

My brackets round the word Roman as that's been the held opinion for centuries :wink:
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:It is interesting to compare this view with the statements from Simon James' recent book discussed over on another thread. These appear to reflect the third century army however. I guess the truth as always lies somewhere in between.

Do you have page numbers for your quotes? I've the book, but couldn't find them so far (only did a short search). However, these statements made me puzzling. But well, three other books on the pile to read before I'll turn to Simon James' new book.

The truth would probably somewhere in between, indeed. Anyway, I've new sources for thought, which always is a good thing. Think that after reading Simon James I'll turn again to your Roman military dress, again Smile The use of colours in the Roman world and army in particular still interest me a lot.

From this it would appear your avearge (Roman) infantry soldier thought the cavalry gaudy and effeminate! :grin:
Quote:My brackets round the word Roman as that's been the held opinion for centuries :wink:

Smile LOL
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:A cavalryman without a horse is just a normal foot soldier.
Not exactly. From the Deurne shoe (without any hobnails) we can tell that cavalrymen were not used (or equipped for) any cross-country walking. :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Nice work Claire. As always! Smile
Scott Goring
Quote:
garrelt post=304050 Wrote:A cavalryman without a horse is just a normal foot soldier.
Not exactly. From the Deurne shoe (without any hobnails) we can tell that cavalrymen were not used (or equipped for) any cross-country walking. :wink:

Correct Robert and I know these shoes.
A Cavalryman shoes won't last that long on the march, but when your horse is dead you still have to fight for your life in a battle.
No time to look for another horse in such a situation.
And a Cavalryman and his horse are so easy to take out (when you are not scared of them).
3 spears will do the job.
2 for the horse and 1 for the rider
Regards

Garrelt
-----------------------------------------------------
Living History Group Teuxandrii
Taberna Germanica
Numerus I Exploratores Teuxandrii (Pedites et Equites)
Ludus Gladiatorii Gunsula
Jomsborg Elag Hrafntrae
Claire.

I went trough my documentation concerning clothing, reconstructions and remains from hallstadt to late medieval and from Greenland to Mesopotamie.
But I could not find a tunic which looks, in constrution, like the one you made.
I'm verry interested in the source/origin.
Regards

Garrelt
-----------------------------------------------------
Living History Group Teuxandrii
Taberna Germanica
Numerus I Exploratores Teuxandrii (Pedites et Equites)
Ludus Gladiatorii Gunsula
Jomsborg Elag Hrafntrae
Quote:I can think of at least one stele showing long sleeves
On an early cavalryman!
Intrigued to know which that is since most of them in the 1st century AD show long sleeves, if memory serves. This is the cuff/bracelet confusion issue that turns up occasionally, I assume. Here is a useful little article on the subject, where it is assumed to be a bracelet: Griffiths, N.A. 1978: 'A fragment of a Roman cavalry tombstone from Cirencester', Britannia 9, 396–7

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
The one that comes immediately to mind is the one that was the topic of that very discussion..lol

There was also the idea they were guantlets, if my memory is correct.
Thanks for the reference...
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:There was also the idea they were guantlets, if my memory is correct.
This is in fact one of the best illustrations of why you should always see sculpture in the flesh. The fact that they are sleeves is given away by what appear to be stitch lines or hems running up the sleeves of some of them (will look through my photos and post one when I find it).

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Yes, it's amazin gth edetails that phots miss sometimes.
I would be really interested in better phots of any early cavalry!
There is one where the horesman has a gladius as opposed to a spatha.... :eek: :-)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ahistoryoftheworld/...tWUCTcjsyg
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Burial in Chattalka of a cavalry officer from the Roman auxiliary and his belt. Rado 9 3,396 11-02-2017, 09:54 AM
Last Post: Rado
  IN Search of Officer Tunic Pictures or Drawings Pointer 7 1,885 02-11-2013, 08:22 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  late belt and baldric (BELT FINISHED WITH PICTURES) Chuck Russell 22 3,604 02-26-2007, 09:58 AM
Last Post: aitor iriarte