Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thermopylae Film!
How are people NOT going to root for the Spartans at Thermopylae??? You have a million Persians attacking 300 Spartans who are thumbing ther noses at them? The Spartans go down but because of treachery, attacked from behind as well as in front. The Spartan king who takes on the largest army the world will see for centuries with is body guard. Against all odds he holds out for days. He sends a heroic message back to Sparta that is remembered for centuries. People like underdogs. If you saw a fight between this one guy, holding his own against a whole gang of thugs and he's making them remember they were in a fight, who would YOU root for? The gang of thugs who out number this guy maybe 30-1 or that one guy? This was not some punitive raid either, you don't bring an army of a million men on a punitive raid. They were there to extinguish the greeks and carry them off into slavery. Totally off this specifc topic except for the idea of possible films, What about the story Of Caesar's conquest of Gaul and showdown with Vercinctorix? Climax being the battle for Alessia?
Caesar audieritis hoc
People love glorious and heroic last stands, history is full of them. Nobody ever roots for the big bullies who slaughter them in the end.
Caesar audieritis hoc
Quote: How are people NOT going to root for the Spartans at Thermopylae??? You have a million Persians attacking 300 Spartans who are thumbing ther noses at them?
Because the Spartans, although clearly heroes facing death etc., may not their favorite Greek state? It's not as easy as that - sometimes the loser is indeed not the one you root for.
Quote:People like underdogs. If you saw a fight between this one guy, holding his own against a whole gang of thugs and he's making them remember they were in a fight, who would YOU root for? The gang of thugs who out number this guy maybe 30-1 or that one guy?
Thermopylae may not be such a clear case, But I'm surely rooting for the invader Alexander who defeats the Persians (the underdogs in this campaign no matter how you turn it). Likewise Caesar - sorry but I'm not rooting for the Celts, who were slaughtered in the end by the big nully Romans.
Quote: This was not some punitive raid either, you don't bring an army of a million men on a punitive raid.
I really hope you do not take that number seriously. No ancient armies of a million men existed. Logistics would make that impossible. A hundred thousand would alreay be an immense army.
Quote:People love glorious and heroic last stands, history is full of them. Nobody ever roots for the big bullies who slaughter them in the end.
Not always Tom. I think that the end of WWII was quite satisfactory. :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Um..George (Macedon) and I had recently posted in this thread and those posts are now gone! :-(

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad
test
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Yup...we've got it back thank you!
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
What happened? What did I miss?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote: ... Sadly, we are surrounded by barbarians in the historical sense.

As the writer/director John Salyes pointed out: "If historical accuracy were the thing people went to the movies for, historians would be the vice presidents of studios. Every studio would have two or three historians." This from the director of Eight Men Out, a film heavy on both entertainment and history.

Ms. Jolie has already been cast in the title role of the new Cleopatra film. The gods look down and laugh, for otherwise they would weep.

:? :wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:What happened? What did I miss?

I believe when Robert split off some posts on troop numbers to a new thread, this thread was inadvertently deleted, all is well now... :-)

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad
Quote: Ms. Jolie has already been cast in the title role of the new Cleopatra film. The gods look down and laugh, for otherwise they would weep.

:? :wink:

Narukami

Well the problem they have there is the money they save on the consutmes(or lack of one assumes) they'll have to spend on make up to cover all the tattoos Ms Jolie displays.

Unless Cleo is to have biker chic :wink:
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
I think some people have possibly lost sight of what this thread is about! I will elaborate later since I haven't time right now ...

But in simple terms just because the subject has been covered twice before (badly) doesn't mean it shouldn't be done again (properly). Gladiator (Russell Crowe) was effectively a remake of The Fall of the Roman Empire (Stephen Boyd) and both are quite good films in their own right, all things considered.

More later ...
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]
Quote:cover all the tattoos
Spray paint?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Digital Spray paint.

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:Digital Spray paint.

:wink:

Narukami

:mrgreen:
Moi Watson

Quote:
Ghostmojo post=306295 Wrote: I'm sorry to say this - but the Persians are THE baddies. They are invading the territory of independent peoples who object to such militaristic imperialism.
Nononono.. Big Grin they were invading the territory of those 'bad' states who illegally supported an uprising among Persian subjects. It wasn't an invasion of independent peoples who minded their own business, but a punitive expedition against those who continued to meddle in Persian affairs. A bit like Caesar invading Britain because of the British Celts supporting the Gauls.
[ducks for cover]

Well, you might well duck for cover Robert! :lol: YES-YES-YES the Persians were the baddies. After all, the Ionian Greeks didn't ask to be invaded and dominated either. The Hellenes dotted along the coast of Asia Minor were hardly willing Persian 'subjects'. Had they been happy as such, then I guess they wouldn't have revolted in the first place.

Your analogy holds true with the Gauls too. They didn't ask for the expanding Roman Empire to 'acquire' their territory, and it is not surprising they looked for (and received) help from partisan neighbours ... my friend's enemy is my enemy! Or - if a neighbour's house is on fire, you help put it out - before yours catches fire too ...

Quote:
Ghostmojo post=306295 Wrote:It is the big event we are talking about - and the big event was the Battle of Thermopylai 480BC.
We-ell.. would that not be these same as making a movie about WWII and only showing the Battle of the Bulge? :wink:

No. It would be the other way around. There was a film about the Battle of the Bulge which didn't (need to) show the events of the whole of WW2! A film about Thermopylai doesn't need to show the whole of the Persian Wars, anymore than Waterloo had to show the whole of the Napoleonic Wars, or even a detailed account of the 100 days (which it could/and did do in passing).
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Re: Thermopylae Film! Macedon 4 1,220 02-13-2012, 01:19 AM
Last Post: Ghostmojo