Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Axes
I once bought a Viking ax reconstruction and have hesitated to bring it with me to Roman presentations since I am not sure how similar they look.

Do Roman axes (not dolabra) and Viking axes look alike at all?

Thanks

Paolo
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
a pic of your axe would be helpful...
Als Mensch zu dumm, als Schwein zu kleine Ohren...

Jürgen Graßler

www.schorsch-der-schmied.de
www.facebook.com/pages/AG-Historisches-Handwerk/203702642993872
Check out this thread about Roman use of Axes:

http://www.romanarmytalk.com/17-roman-mi...cisca.html
Do you mean a battle-axe or the tool? If the latter, this illustration of the finds from Newstead may help:

http://www.curlesnewstead.org.uk/platelxi.htm
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
The Newstead types are not so far from the modern hand ones used today for chopping fire wood, I do in fact have a Roman lead Votive one of very similar style to the Newstead.
Brian Stobbs
Hello,

Sorry I took a while to respond. X or X, attached is the picture of a Viking ax.

Thanks for the Newstead photos. I was looking at either for chopping down trees or weapon.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
nope. this one is really well done, but the shape is totally different to roman ones. you could grind it down to a "roman" shape, but that would be a mess Smile
Als Mensch zu dumm, als Schwein zu kleine Ohren...

Jürgen Graßler

www.schorsch-der-schmied.de
www.facebook.com/pages/AG-Historisches-Handwerk/203702642993872
Thanks for the response. Oh well....no problem. It still has a place in my collection.

With respect to the picture I posted, the one I have is exactly the same. However, the picture is not my ax head.
I will take a picture of mine once its completed with a handle and post it on off topic.

Cheers

Paolo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman axes SAJID 1 1,168 04-07-2016, 07:41 PM
Last Post: ValentinianVictrix