Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Battle of Chalons - Location
Quote:Also, I found a ridge neraby at Arcis-Sur Aube, it's not exactly the best view, but it appears to be although small pretty steep. It's 3 kilos from the river and 3 kilos long.
The first is perpendicualr to the ridge to sort of show it, the second runs along side it
Ah, that's quite interesting. Nice way of making that one visible. Plenty of room for two large armies.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I'd multiquote you but I don't know how Tongue

A river can be very strong, I wouldn'y be surprised if it rolled down river (also when you first poasted that I thought you had only found the metal head of a plumbata). I'll pm my email to you.

the entire plain of Chalons is a floodplain, but the river has not changed i looked using the historical maps feature of google erath, it's still relatively the same. Also, yeah a member on another forum criticized me about the ridge, he believes the battle took place along the scrubby ridge about 30-40 kilos west of aube on the edge of the Locus Mauriacus. But i dont think so, the archaeological evidence seems to point towards Pouan-Aube area.

My Latin teacher, who has a PHD in Roman history, actually agrees that based on the evidence it's in pouan.

Also, I was taught respect (unlike most american children these days Tongue) and I naturally call all adult figures Mr. (Or Dr. or Sir if they're knighted) and their last name, I'f you'd like me to call you Robert I will abide by your wishes thaen, Robert.

And that bit about Vidimer is interesting - a piece of history that has escaped me. Where does he appear? Gallic Chronicle? Ioradnes?
Evan,
Can you PM me where you think the ridge is?
Next time I am condemmned to present somethin to Renault or PSA I will ehhhhh hemmm, take a diversion to avoid a traffic jam!
Sulpicius Florus

(aka. Steve Thompson)

"What? this old Loculus? had it years dear."
"Vescere bracis meis" (eat my shorts)
Sure thing I'll PM both of you now.

EDIT actually I can't get the location on Google earth Right now my other computer is off (I'ts 10:00 PM here)
My Computer had a meltdown guys I won't be able to do much until next week
No Panic

Next week is Sweden.......will have to find a project to sew in the hotel room....too expensive to drink at the bar!!

Looks like a Leather waterbottle will be born!
Sulpicius Florus

(aka. Steve Thompson)

Actually I have a great deal of reason to panic - the damage might be completely irreversable, not even a windows 7 re-install can fix it, and the computer is only 7 months old. It took me 3 years to get enough money to buy it, and I don't have enough money to replace it. If the damage is irreversable, than after I take it in to a professional I'll only have maybe 300 dollars left. And I'm pretty sure I can't get this covered under the warranty.
Tell me by pm what went wrong and lets see if we can help
Sulpicius Florus

(aka. Steve Thompson)

Quote:Tell me by pm what went wrong and lets see if we can help

No need it's fixed now

I'm gonna install google earth on my laptop and try to work more on that to find the location. If I could get copies of more people who wrote about the battle that would be useful, I have Hydatius and Jordanes already, and there are one or 2 footnotes in my latin copy of sidonius apollinaris letters. So I'm gonna have to look around the internet a bit.
Quote: No need it's fixed now
That's very good to hear. Please save up for an external hard drive, which will save you from the loss of your hard-won data!

Quote:I'm gonna install google earth on my laptop and try to work more on that to find the location. If I could get copies of more people who wrote about the battle that would be useful, I have Hydatius and Jordanes already, and there are one or 2 footnotes in my latin copy of sidonius apollinaris letters. So I'm gonna have to look around the internet a bit.
How about publishing them here, so we could discuss them?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:
Magister Militum Flavius Aetius post=310970 Wrote:No need it's fixed now
That's very good to hear. Please save up for an external hard drive, which will save you from the loss of your hard-won data!

Quote:I'm gonna install google earth on my laptop and try to work more on that to find the location. If I could get copies of more people who wrote about the battle that would be useful, I have Hydatius and Jordanes already, and there are one or 2 footnotes in my latin copy of sidonius apollinaris letters. So I'm gonna have to look around the internet a bit.
How about publishing them here, so we could discuss them?

Yeah I'll upload the PDFs and the Word Document. I'll let you know they're not exactly the best translations, I had to go in and translate Hydatius myself before I got an english copy.

EDIT: Also I used an 8 Gig flashdrive to back up my files, so I'm good.
Merobaudes Pangeyric of 436, Hydatius, Sidonius Apollinaris, Chronicle of Zaragoza, and chronicle of Isisdore are all attatched
OK, I know I'm being dumb, but attached where?
Ian (Sonic) Hughes
"I have described nothing but what I saw myself, or learned from others" - Thucydides, Peloponnesian War
"I have just jazzed mine up a little" - Spike Milligan, World War II
Quote:Merobaudes Pangeyric of 436, Hydatius, Sidonius Apollinaris, Chronicle of Zaragoza, and chronicle of Isisdore are all attatched
Something went wrong with the attachments. You should be able to attach pdf's, but not word files.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Sorry, the PDFs didn't upload, slow internet connection.

I'll get them in a sec

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Location of Caesar's decisive battle against Cassivellaunus tikeshe 2 1,504 01-21-2017, 10:20 PM
Last Post: tikeshe
  Another thread about Chalons Flavivs Aetivs 11 2,889 05-19-2015, 06:35 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Who really \"won\" the Battle of Chalons? Flavivs Aetivs 27 5,395 05-20-2014, 10:44 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs