Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vexillum Dimensions
I have seen several groups carrying around a vexillum and I gather roughly the size of the shaft to be something between 6-7 ft (2-2.3meters)tall. I can get the length of the crossbar based on this dimension. However, how thick should the crossbar be? 1/2 inch (around 1cm)......less.....more

Any help is appreciated.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Half inch is fairly fragile, if you use dowel. The breakage I've seen occurs at the joint with the upright shaft (and 6-7 feet seems good enough) as many drill through the upright and glue in the crossbar. All stress meets at that point. I've seen shafts from 1 1/8" to 1 1/2, like closet rod, but any larger gets hard to carry easily.

There are probably other ways to attach the cross bar. If your vex is 15"-18" wide, you'll be in the "standard" ball park dimension. But remember, what we call a vex isn't quite like what we see in the record, and only one vex banner is known, as far as I know. Add enough for your leather dangly parts, and another inch outside that, and you should be fine.

None of that is historcally provable, except for the found banner. We make them how others make them, not necessarily how the Romans made theirs.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:None of that is historcally provable, except for the found banner. We make them how others make them, not necessarily how the Romans made theirs.
THAAAANNNKKKK YOOOUUUU...
DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS
a.k.a.: Marsh Wise
Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

"A fondness for power is implanted in most men, and it is natural to abuse it when acquired." -- Alexander Hamilton

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.... But then I repeat myself." ~Mark Twain

[img size=150]http://www.romanobritain.org/Graphics/marsh_qr1.png[/img]
(Oooh, Marshall, you cannot use an icky modern QR code, it is against all policies and rules.)
Thanks David for the tip. However, I will not be drilling through the upright shaft, rather I will hang the crossbar like a picture frame.......there will be a cord fastened on the ends of the crossbar and the center of this cord will then be placed on a nail on the upright shaft.

I thought that this is how other have also made theirs which is why I was interested in the thickness of the crossbar.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
0.5" will be more than fine. Here is one way of attaching it:

[Image: Vexillumcrossbarattachment.jpg]

[Image: Vexillum-II-AVG.jpg]

Legion: TBD
Two years ago I decided to make the attachment of our vexillum like this : [Image: d6a5406f1870.jpg]
The practice shows that this is a very successful option!
This is the bracket that allows the free movement of the vexillum in the "Forward " command:
[Image: 665de04a41d4.jpg]
Radostin Kolchev
(Adlocutio Cohortium)
http://legio-iiii-scythica.com/index.php/en/
Good idea Rado.

Thanks for all the replies. They are all very good suggestions.

Rado's idea is what I wanted to achieve with the cord as I described it. However, I think that Rado's solution is better.

Rado, how thick is your crossbar pole (centimeters is fine). How long is the pole without the butt spike and spear head?

Paolo
Hey Matt,

Sorry if the question is off topic but where did the vexillarius in your group get that bear skin.

Thanks

Paolo
Doc diameter of the main pole is 30 mm.Diameter the transverse stick is 12/15 мм.
The height of the Vexillum Standard should be made so ,when the flag is placed on the ground , the lower end of the Vexillum should be at on the face level on the bearer (or to the level of helmet of the Vexillarius).
[Image: a38141437f14.jpg]
Radostin Kolchev
(Adlocutio Cohortium)
But this depends much on the height of Vexillarius Smile‼!
[Image: e940d1c5f29b.jpg]
Radostin Kolchev
(Adlocutio Cohortium)
When carries in the parade position the Vexillum Standard should be about 30 centimes over helmet. This is my opinion of course! Our experience shows that this is a good option!
[Image: e9604d5709f8.jpg]
[Image: b51cc1ea20a8.jpg]
Radostin Kolchev
(Adlocutio Cohortium)
Hey Paolo, I'm not sure...he's a guy from a Legion in Chicago. I can find out for you though.

Thanks Rado for the information.

Matt, please do find out.

Paolo