Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Military history magazine survey
Our books and magazines are firmly historical, but that doesn't mean we don't look to the future. In fact, we've been toying with ideas for new magazines for quite a while now. The problem is always picking a topic. Obviously, we want to launch a new magazine that will be of interest to as many readers as possible. To that end, we have designed a short and simple survey. We'd be very grateful if you could fill it out and help us design our (potential) new magazine. In return, we're raffling off five one-year paper subscriptions and ten one-year digital subscriptions for the magazine of your choice (Ancient Warfare, Medieval Warfare or Wargames, Soldiers & Strategy). All you have to do is complete the survey and leave us your e-mail address (don't worry, we won't use it for anything). This survey is open to anyone who wants to participate, so please tell all of your friends! The more feedback we can get, the better. You can send in your answers until June 15th. Take the survey now and tell us what kind of new military history magazine you'd like to see.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Have you considered a non-military magazine? A magazine called "Ancient History", dealing with ancient society in general, would be nice. Of course, this is my personal interest, but I suspect I am not the only one.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
That seems to be a stillborn: http://www.ancienthistorymag.com/
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
How about a Renaissance military magazine? Or is the Renaissance included in Medieval Warfare?
Pecunia non olet
Hi John
Well, the Renaissance that definitely begins in the MW magazine period, so some attention will undoubtedly be paid to it. But it IS one of the options in the survey... Big Grin
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Quote:Of course, this is my personal interest, but I suspect I am not the only one.
But are we the only two?! :wink:
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
I think there is a magazine called that already...
but i could be thinking of Military History.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:
Jona Lendering post=312453 Wrote:Of course, this is my personal interest, but I suspect I am not the only one.
A stillborn magazine is generally the type of warning you want to take seriously. Then again, I knew of a similar one when we began AW...
Quote:I think there is a magazine called that already...
but i could be thinking of Military History.
Byron, there are several general military history magazines (Military History, Military Heritage, Military Times (= now Military History Monthly, a title change within 18 months of starting...), Armchair general, etc), but that's not what I'm after.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Yes, I am also much more interested in non-military ancient history, too. But there are already a host of academic publications focused on this. I'm not sure what a popular magazine could offer in this niche, or how it could thrive. Publishing periodicals is very tough nowadays.

But anyway: I took the survey, Jasper!
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Quote:Publishing periodicals is very tough nowadays.

Tell me about it! Wink & thanks!
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Sorry, jasper, what I should have said, is,

Quote:I think there is a magazine called that already (Ancient History)...
but I could be thinking of Military History.

However, it would be interesting to have a magazine that covered perhaps ancient
lifestyle, covering the architecture of villas and homes, (and fortification)
and also perhaps the living conditions, how they prepared food, the way they traveled, studied,
spent their leisure time, religious matters, romance, social hierarchies, communications, trade,
business and manufacture, entertainment, referencing the associated military magazine where civilian life started to meld into military matters.

I also took the survey.

It would be interesting to have a magazine dedicated to ancient naval warefare...
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Gotcha! Thanks...

Quote:It would be interesting to have a magazine dedicated to ancient naval warefare...
It would be. It would also run out of topics to discuss and illustrations much faster than AW would. Then again, that wouldn't be a huge problem, as I'm afraid it would die of financial woe long before that!
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Yes, I figured it might be requireing a wider timescale, but I thought i would start wit ha small idea...

I think there are a few magazines out there that do Naval warefare, but few start in ancient times.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:
D B Campbell post=312491 Wrote:
Jona Lendering post=312453 Wrote:Of course, this is my personal interest, but I suspect I am not the only one.
A stillborn magazine is generally the type of warning you want to take seriously. Then again, I knew of a similar one when we began AW...

That's very true, but now you have the readers from AW to advertise a new magazine to as well, and if they're interested in ancient warfare, why not in ancient society? Confusedmile: They could already be a first, and probably quite large part of the new reading public. It's an expensive guess to make of course. Tongue

I'd be interested, anyway. Smile

Completed the survey, by the way.
Valete,
Titvs Statilivs Castvs - Sander Van Daele
LEG XI CPF
COH VII RAET EQ (part of LEG XI CPF)

MA in History
Quote:
Now we are three! This thing is starting to snowball, Jasper. :wink:
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RAT\'s knowledge of military history rivals Oxford Epictetus 9 2,531 04-04-2013, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Michael Kerr
  Military History Praefectusclassis 50 20,196 06-01-2010, 08:35 PM
Last Post: Astiryu1
  American and Military History Jona Lendering 2 1,023 01-14-2009, 01:47 PM
Last Post: texascavtrooper