Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RAT\'s knowledge of military history rivals Oxford
I was searching for something or other about ancient Athens and stumbled across an Australian writer's blog. I was surprised to read:

Quote:Despite its name, the Roman Army Talk forum has a substantial Greek section. These guys are awesome for minute details about how people used to slaughter each other. If you want the pros and cons of holding your spear overhand vs underhand, then this is the place to be. Their knowledge of military history would rival that of any Oxford don.

High praise. But I wonder if this is because we have so many academics posting?
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Or people who would prefer to be academics rather than working in business?
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Or people who borrow the ideas of the academics and actually disseminate them to a broad, non-campus audience?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Or a combination of all of the above. But there is an impressive amount of knowledge here.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
I suppose the old proverb of "Sharing knowledge multiplies it" comes into play when there is a large community of contributors. I think the main effect is bringing a lot of bits and pieces together in trying to solve the puzzle, as well as a good number of people experimenting with different ways of doing things and adding that to the pool.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
I came here with a lot of wrongheaded ideas. I have learned a lot here. Good discussion does help with that.
We do have at least one Oxford student here, so I suppose that we get the best of both worlds! There are only a few places in the world where one can often talk about war in the ancient world, and scholarly forums like RAT are a good substitute for those of us not so lucky as to be in one of them.

I am not an expert on the Roman army, so I can learn from the Roman experts here while suggesting Classical Greek, Achaemenid Persian, or medieval parallels.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Where I live, I'm not socially compatible and can't talk about anything, let alone the Roman World. This is the only place I have that I can talk to other scholars of Roman History, and I've learned almost everything I know from discussion (first on TWC) on here.
It's because you reference original sources, and then you apply your combined intelligence and broad period knowledge to make sensible, practical conclusions. That's valuable and rare if you happen to be an author of classical Greek murder mysteries. So your contribution to my ancient military knowledge is appreciated; information from RMT has made its way into my books.

I created an account here just to answer that question! I'm the author mentioned by David Cord in the first post. Not stalking, but I noticed an uptick in my blog stats from this page and curiousity brought me over. I couldn't resist the chance to say hi.
Welcome Gary, Its good to see a fellow Aussie join.
Regards
Michael Kerr
Michael Kerr
"You can conquer an empire from the back of a horse but you can't rule it from one"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Military history magazine survey Praefectusclassis 40 7,071 05-17-2012, 11:52 AM
Last Post: Titvs Statilivs Castvs
  Military History Praefectusclassis 50 20,207 06-01-2010, 08:35 PM
Last Post: Astiryu1
  American and Military History Jona Lendering 2 1,025 01-14-2009, 01:47 PM
Last Post: texascavtrooper