Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New discovery: loricas segmentatas Leon, Spain
Salvete omnes,

a photo of the place where the loricae were found:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-HijTimEVCfY/T7...1600/1.jpg

by the way Leon comes from Le(gi)on(em), not Lion like in the automatic translation.

Valete

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

SI VIS PACEM COLE IVSTITIAM

NVLLA SINE DIGNITATE FELICITAS

LVCIVS SERGIVS ANTONINVS - Toni Sagarra
Google Maps has got a nice aerial view and the outline of the city walls can be easily discerned, too.
-This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how
sheep´s bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
[Image: escudocopia.jpg]Iagoba Ferreira Benito, member of Cohors Prima Gallica
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.
Quote:On the other hand, if it appears that the most plausible theory is that it is indeed a warehouse, the fact of finding lots of armor in a small space has made archaeologists think of the existence of a number of units called fabricae within a much larger warehouse.
That would make the hypothesis possible that armours like the segmentata were stored and not used, instead of being produced well into the 4th century as originally proposed. They could have been there until they rusted or actually chucked away. As were the 40-odd Intercisa helmets found in Dunapentele, Hungary.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
My favorite blog mentioned this: http://antoninuspius.blogspot.de/
** Vincula/Lucy **
Quote:My favorite blog mentioned this: http://antoninuspius.blogspot.de/

Whoever thought blue writing on a on brown background was a good idea???? Confusedhock:
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:From Gaius Julius Caesar: I understood there to be a find of Seg and other stuff associated with an Auxilliary. Possibly a Batavian.?

I wonder if this is the paper you may be thinking about? It's in Dutch and was published in:

"De tempel van Empel. Een Hercules-heiligdom in het woongebeid van de Batava"
The relevant section seems to be: "Wapentuig voor Hercules" by Carol van Driel-Murray.

As I understand it, the armour and horse equipment was found with a diploma, which established that the 'owner' (at least of the diploma) was an auxiliary. Whether he actually owned the armour is, of course, a moot point! :grin:

Mike Thomas
(Caratacus)
visne scire quod credam? credo orbes volantes exstare.
Quote:Whether he actually owned the armour is, of course, a moot point! :grin:
A little detail like that should never be allowed to get in the way of a good, baseless meme.

Quote:D'Amato also argues that cavalrymen on the Portonaccio Sarcophagus are clearly wearing leather banded armour but I guess that belongs in another thread.
A new and previously unexplored use of the word 'clearly'. And as for where it belongs... ;-)

Quote:Whoever thought blue writing on a on brown background was a good idea????
I bet this guy likes it (the only website for which I have to have a custom stylesheet in order to avoid a seizure).

Rumours are reaching me that the latest León find may be comparable to von Groller's Waffenmagazin find at Carnuntum.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Does this mean that Lorica Segmentata III; The Empire strikes Back, ( and introducing Dai Caerleon and Pedro Leon) is now in Pre production?
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Quote:Does this mean that Lorica Segmentata III; The Empire strikes Back, ( and introducing Dai Caerleon and Pedro Leon) is now in Pre production?
Working title Fifty Shades of Seggie ('hurt me, hurt me!' 'Okay, don't wear any padding on the shoulders...').

Mike Bishop

Graham Sumner wrote:
D'Amato also argues that cavalrymen on the Portonaccio Sarcophagus are clearly wearing leather banded armour but I guess that belongs in another thread.

Mike Bishop wrote:
A new and previously unexplored use of the word 'clearly'. And as for where it belongs...

As clear as mud you mean :-D !

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote:
Caratacus post=316222 Wrote:Whether he actually owned the armour is, of course, a moot point! :grin:
A little detail like that should never be allowed to get in the way of a good, baseless meme.

Mike Bishop

Oh, come on now - after all, as you say:
"You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles" :grin: Surely, this is a 'trifle'? Or is an egg-custard?

Mike Thomas
(Caratacus)
visne scire quod credam? credo orbes volantes exstare.
Quote:
Caratacus post=316222 Wrote:Whether he actually owned the armour is, of course, a moot point! :grin:

Mike Bishop

Why would it be baseless?
The evidence not agreeing with another theory?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Why would it be baseless?
The evidence not agreeing with another theory?
Because there is no 'evidence' that the lorica seg belonged to a Batavian auxiliary, just a hypothesis attempting to tie together disparate pieces of material.

Mike Bishop

They were found together in an auxiliary fort were they not?
Or is that BS as well?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:They were found together in an auxiliary fort were they not?
Dedications at a sanctuary, I think: http://www.livius.org/ga-gh/germania/empel.html. (I haven't seen the article.)
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Leon Lorica Segmentata - Follow Up Question Vindex 12 3,821 05-21-2012, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Nurglitch
  NEWSTEAD VERSION LORICAS...any updates?(formerly Corbridge) PartsandTechnical.com 7 2,123 08-31-2006, 04:03 PM
Last Post: Matthew Amt