• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RAT Round-Up 2003 - Xanten - 21 & 22 June 2003
For now, sure! Organisation for us is still in its primary stage. <p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Jasper, got any room for old, fat Romans, maybe from the eastern legions? E EM <p>"Just before class started, I looked in the big book where all the world's history is written, and it said...." Neil J. Hackett, PhD ancient history, professor OSU, 1987</p><i></i>
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Sure, just don't be surprised if Corbulo turns up! <p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Thanks, man. Keep me posted of developments, will you?<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
Robert<br>
<br>
'Cives Francorum, Miles Romanorum' <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/uvortigernstudies.showPublicProfile?language=EN>Vortigern Studies</A> at: 9/30/02 11:03:38 am<br></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Jeff: Sorry for not replying sooner... just saw this now. No "rental" charge to use the equipment, just take care of it while in your hands.<br>
<br>
Jasper, are you organizing this with Xanten? Getting the space reserved, etc. After the big push to make Albano "big", LEG XIIII now has available 50 complete sets of kit, 40, 1st century (including 6 cavalry, 5 eastern archers, 10 western aux infantry), and 10 2nd to 5th century, including the cataphract. So there will be equipment enough for anyone who wants to try Roman kit for the first time. I'll take RATenthusiasts first and fill the remainder with GI's. We can easily have the best and biggest display even if nobody else brings Roman kit, but the more, the merrier.<br>
<br>
Dan <p></p><i></i>
Jasper is closer than I am (as well as a German speaker) and if he wants to lead the charge to get us space and lodging, why that's fine with me. I'll do my darndest to break free of company command long enough to come out and debut my Roman line of ladies' clothing and accessories. Perhaps I'll even get my barbarous husband Rob to don the Roman tunics I made for him. We even have matching caligae, it's sickening... E EM<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
Jenny <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
Jenny, here's a way to guarantee your attendance. Like I said, I now have 50 complete kits of Roman gear, but doubt we will get more than 10 "kitless" RAT members who will come. I took 30 soldiers to Albano earlier this month as kind of an "adventure training-professional development" activity. Think you could get 40 of your soldiers to do this? If so, we'd have the biggest unit at Xanten. You'd need to get them over here maybe one weekend in advance to drill and polish gear. Usually that's all it takes to out-march and out drill the groups composed of European civilians who for the most part have had no real military training. I now have enough of the felt weapons for a gigantic battle as well!<br>
<br>
Let me know, Dan. <p></p><i></i>
Here's the "German speaker" speaking. Still have to talk to my friends about how to reserve space, etc. - they're not in Cologne at the moment. Will post my progress here soon.<br>
<br>
Greetings,<br>
<br>
Martin <p></p><i></i>
Well, Dan, it sounds appealing, but you have to remember, I command in Heidelberg, which is REMF Central. I doubt I could get too many troops to come voluntarily, and we'd have to pay TDY otherwise...! E EM<br>
<br>
J. <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
Ah, c'mon Jenny, no one gets TDY when they go "adventure" training. What you have to do is make the alternative of staying back in Heidelburg so miserable and unappealing that the troops will WANT to be Romans instead. Get your First Sergeant to take everyone who doesn't go to Xanten on a local training area exercise, or "GI" the company , be creative! Just Kidding. Just build it up, make it sound like it will be fun. Show them the video we will get from Albano. I can probably get enough troops here, but if you make this your own company activity, you definately should be able to attend....... and we do all want you to be there!<br>
<br>
Dan <p></p><i></i>
Naaah! Think it's Jenny here who's kidding - She wouldn't set up the plan for our participation and then not show up! And besides: Jenny, how can you know that you won't be at a certain place at a certain date <em>in June next year</em>? You MUST be kidding!<br>
<br>
Greetings,<br>
<br>
Martin <p></p><i></i>
Well, there's a little something called WAR, an occupational hazard I suppose... E EM But you know I'll do my best to be there. I really do hate making promises I later can't keep.<br>
<br>
We should reserve and set up a RAT area. If there are any costs under $500 associated with getting the space I'll pay for it. Over $500, we need to have a fundraiser of some kind. We need to identify a hotel in nearby Xanten for those not inclined to camp out under the stars.<br>
<br>
Will someone please bring a big tent of appropriate construction? Dan?<br>
<br>
Other than the basic logistics, I can't imagine it will be very difficult to make a RAT presence felt at Xanten.<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
Jenny <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny

War? Well, I seriously hope it won't come to that, but if you would find yourself in Iraq next summer, maybe you could find a nice archaeological site to guard? Or the Bagdad museum Spass beiseite, I really hope to see you all in peaceful Xanten next summer, and maybe treat you all to a nice beer M (right, Helge?).<br>
Xanten, however, may be booked by then, if you donb't start booking early (www.xanten.de/). I know this happens every season when the operas are performed at the Roman theatre. The first one starts already the next friday (July 7th), which means you have to expect early visitors who maybe want to go to both events. There is a larger town nearby (Wesel), but that would mean having access to transport. Start booking early!<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
Robert<br>
<br>
'Cives Francorum, Miles Romanorum'<br>
www.fectio.org.uk/ <p></p><i></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Or, everyone books a hotel in one place and we arrange for mass transport?! <p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Sorry Jenny, didn't see that one. Besides the three leather tents for the "authentic camp" I have a large rectangular "marquee" about 12 by 15 feet. As most of the groups have white canvas tents of all varieties, this one would be just as appropriate, actually, more period looking than most. I envisioned this one, seperated from the others somewhat to be the RAT public information/sales tent. As night it could double as a sleeping tent as well. Between the four tent now, we could comfortably sleep 30. There's a good chance there may be additional authentic tents in the legion by then too. My goal is a centurion tent and at least one more contuburnium tent . Remember too, that it is allowed to bring civilian camping tents, which can be erected at night after the visitors leave, and taken down in the morning. So really, sleeping arrangements should be no problem no matter how many come.<br>
<br>
Do you think we can consolidate both of the RAT roundup sites to one. When I suggested moving it to the reenactment page, I assumed we could move the one site, rather than generate a second one. There would be less confusion that way.<br>
<br>
So what about the adventure training idea if you don't deploy? Your troops might make a better impression than the wild infantry guys from Baumholder... they sometimes go mad at the scent of beer.<br>
<br>
Dan <p></p><i></i>