Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RAT Round-Up 2003 - Xanten - 21 & 22 June 2003
Tha't's mighty great Dan. Maybe one of the moderators can assimilate these two threads into one, would be handier.<br>
<br>
Oh, and I'm replying, because Jenny's in Russia now, won't be back in a month. <p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Dan, all your ideas about the tents sound very good, thanks in advance! As a native German speaker, I think I will act mainly as a contact-and-information person for the visitors - and of course as a translator for everybody speaking BE/AE, if this proves necessary. But I want to try on some equipment, too!!<br>
<br>
Found out now who organises the event and will phone them the next days for basic information on joining, costs etc.<br>
<br>
Greetings,<br>
<br>
Martin <p></p><i></i>
Jasper,<br>
I suddenly noticed that the original thread reads: "RAT Round-Up 2003 - Xanten - 21 & 22 June 2003". I thought it was 28 & 29 june, am I mistaken?<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
Robert <p></p><i></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I found those dates on the xanten site. I'll check them. <p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
If you'll check my post from august 3rd, I did ask them, and the Roman days are held at 28 & 29. If that is the weekend planned for the RAT meeting..<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
Robert <p></p><i></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Just checked, on the Xanten.de site, under Events, it says 21&22 of june for Schwerter, Brot und Spiele??? <p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Martin,<br>
I would be very surprised if they expected us to pay them for setting up, normally they pay groups to come to help cover their travel expenses. We can easily have the largest group and one of the best camps and displays. If we wanted to organize a battle simulaton, as in Albano, we would easily be the biggest attraction there. Maybe LEG XXX from Italy could come join us, and we can restage our battles. How about it RAT members, are you willing to "fight" LEG XXX?<br>
<br>
Dan <p></p><i></i>
Indeed, I checked their calendar: 21 & 22 June: www.xanten.de/data/1034088564.html. Which means their Tourist Info fed me a load of BS back in august. Nice.<br>
<br>
OK, so it's not held a week from the opera season (gives us some space), but not on my birthday, either! Sorry, no free drinks EM ...<br>
<br>
On the other hand, they're claiming having booked the Junkelmann-outfit, the 6th legion, and the Opladen and Hannover cohorts. Will they be interested in paying for our outfit as well? I mean, Dan, this was what you suggested?<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
Robert <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=vortigernstudies>Vortigern Studies</A> at: 11/6/02 10:18:36 am<br></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Robert,<br>
Except for Junkelmann's gladiator show, none of these other groups do a battle display,,,, just the usual marching around. So this would be a plus. None of the other groups could do a multi-period display to show the evolution of the Roman soldier from the republic to "the fall" either. If they had enough early imperial soldiers, we would be the only group that could have a Dominate period force. We will have at least 20 complete by then including the only cataphract reconstuction I am aware of.... not to mention you and other late period folks that would join for the occasion. Besides Opladen we would probably be the only group with real leather tents too. (Most use white canvas tents, often of modern design) So all in all there are many things we can offer that no one else can.<br>
Dan <p></p><i></i>
Hi,<br>
I'm glad I found this thread. Dan, with my friend I'm going to visit Xanten and we would like to participate in your reenactment action, though we haven't experiences with that. I'm trying to start a roman legion here in Brno and I hope to get as much experiences, informations and advices as possible.<br>
<br>
Alexandr <p></p><i></i>
Alexandr,<br>
That would be great. I once brought a new Hungarian Roman group to Xanten so they could experience such an event, and meet other Roman reenactors. It would be great to see a Roman group from Czech rep/Slovakia. For Eastern Europe there is also X Fretensis from Russia. We still don't know if we will be invited, or how much area we will get, but just keep watching this site. When it is definate we have a place there, just let us know how many are coming and what equipment you will need. If you have some equipment already, please send a picture of your group.<br>
Dan <p></p><i></i>
Hi Dan,<br>
there already is a Roman group in Czech Republic (Legio X Gemina Pia Fidelis), which we hope to cooperate with (may be, we will be a section of this group in Brno). Now I don't know if they will be in Xanten, but I'll let you know. Also I don't know how much and what sort of equipment we will have at the time of Xanten meeting. We want to make our equipment ourselves (it is cheaper), but there are some problems, which are slowing down our effort. Here is the address of Leg X GPF: www.hyperlinx.cz/legioxgpf/lmain.html<br>
<br>
Only in Czech unfortunately, but you can find some pictures here.<br>
<br>
Alexandr <p></p><i></i>
Ok, I'm in contact with Xanten now and the first reaction on the phone sounded positive. Over the next time, there will be discussions about how excactly our participation could be like and how much space would be appropriate.<br>
<br>
In the meantime, I think it's time to ask now<br>
-which RAT members plan to join the festival and<br>
-whether there is a demand for planned tours to other "roman" places and museums in the Rhineland before and/or after the weekend in Xanten.<br>
<br>
Greetings,<br>
<br>
Martin<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Hi,<br>
I would like to join the festival (hopefully with my friend), but we would not join the tour.<br>
<br>
Dan, centurio of Leg X GPF wrote, that they have not been invited and have no contact with people who organize the festival, so they are not going to participate.<br>
<br>
Alexandr <p></p><i></i>
Alexandr,<br>
The organization may be a bit cautious about new groups wanting to attend. There is a wide disparity in quality/authenticity. I recall one group there which consisted of about six "decently" equipped Flavian legionaries, but whose "camp" consisted of conical white modern "camping" tents centered around a huge round tripod mounted typical German bratwurst grill -- ringed of course, by machine made square straw bales that served as seats.<br>
<br>
Money is also a consideration, if groups expect to have their expenses paid by the organization. They do not have the budget to pay every group that wants to attend.<br>
<br>
In the case of the LEG X you mention, if they could supply good photos of their group, and waive any kind of compensation for their first attendance, the Xanten organization may invite them. There is certainly enough room in Xanten for every group Roman in based in Europe. If some of them want to come as regular soldiers (period optional) as part of the RAT contingent, they should join the organization and contact us. Since we are intending educational more the recreational displays and activities, we must maintain a high level of authenticity among all RAT participants. There will be plenty of authentic gear available to loan for anyone who needs it.<br>
<br>
Dan. <p></p><i></i>