Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Acceptable Scutum Sizes?
What are acceptable Rectangular Legionnaire Scutum sizes for 40 ad-70 ad? (In inches)
Which is preferred in Linen and or Leather?
AFAIK there are no complete shield which have survived from that period, and sizes probably varied. There is one from a description of Polybius (2nd c. BC), which correlates with the Fayum Scutum (1st BC), 128 tall (ab. 52"), and 63.5 wide (25"). The ones from Trajan's Column range from 37-42" in height, 24-33" in width.

And I suggest, you should make it from wood, not linen or leather Tongue
Mark - Legio Leonum Valentiniani
The linen vs. leather is the facing on the scutum. Leather, I would surmise, was by far more common - and that is the face material on the Dura Europas scutum. The Fayum scutum had more than one layer on its face, one of which was, I believe, felt (lamb's wool felt?). It had covering material on its back, too, if I recall correctly.
One should also not assume that all were necessarily of rectangular shape or of the cut-off top/bottom oval types either. Both were probably used in the 1st Century AD. This period is before the central fabrica-factory system of the late Roman period. Legions could very well have been making scuta in the fortresses and/or contracting out to local suppliers.
In the eastern empire the cities had contractors/workshops who simply went over to supplying the Romans after they conquered the area rather than the Hellenistic rulers who preceded the Romans.
Quinton Johansen
Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae
Thanks Mark... I'll make a note of that wood part. LOL I meant covered in wood or leather. I know bot are acceptable, just wondering which is preferred among reenactors.
I would suggest rawhide as opposed to leather.
The one I've handled covered in leather was quite a bit heavier than you would want to be fighting with all day. And leather is quite soft!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
If I recall correctly, the Dura Scutum had a facing of two layers of linen, covered by one layer of thin "parchment", rawhide I would assume.
There was a very thorough German study on Roman shields published a while ago, I think.
Olaf Küppers - Histotainment, Event und Promotion - Germany
I have seen them 40" x 30" and 24" x 36" Is the 24" x 36" too small or appropriate?

Also... I was reading somewhere that the Scutums had hinges and or a hook and eye that could connect Scutums side by side. I have not been able to account for that historically though. Is there any proof of that? One other thing I recently read was there was a holder on this inside of the shield that would hold up to six hand throwing darts? Like our common day lawn dart game. (I cannot remember where I saw pictures of this can anyone help?)
Patrick, there are no clips or hinges to connect shields together. The darts you've seen are plumbatae from the Late Roman Empire, they might have been fastened behind the oval shield of the day, my preferred theory is that they were held in the same hand as the shield ....
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/17815...d_i=468294

Charting the Third Century military crisis - with a focus on the change in weapons and tactics.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Would 3D printed objects be acceptable? richsc 12 2,572 01-29-2015, 12:53 PM
Last Post: richsc
  Scutum Sizes Lucius Duccius Rufinus 11 2,362 01-08-2009, 01:44 PM
Last Post: Tarbicus