Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late roman lorica hamata?
Quote:
Robert Vermaat post=326688 Wrote:How's your musculata coming on? :whistle:
Robert, the last time the musculata was seen in the Paradise Islands with my spatha drinking Pina Coladas :lol: ...
Well, at least you know where they are!! :whistle:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:
Gaius Julius Caesar post=326690 Wrote:I'm afraid I disagree on that dan! You have to get quite close to notice the flattened part, whereas the fact that the rings are butted is quite obvious from quite some way due to the same ness of the rings!

I think Dan refers to some of the riveted mail currently for sale, which indeed can show very 'large' flattened parts, and don't look good. Indeed, Roman mail had alternating butted and riveted rings, if I'm correct.

Perhaps. I use a flat ring maille, on which it is less obvious. I agree, looking at some photos online of large sized round ring riveted links, I agree that some of them do appear to have a rather large flat area for the rivet.

Regardless, when doing living history I'd be much more comfortable pointing out to people the riveted structure rather than showing off butted links. I mean sure, the rivets may be wrong, and the watershed / metallurgy / etc may be wrong (and if I can explain why, then all the better), but it's still closer than butted maille IMHO.
Nadeem Ahmad

Eran ud Turan - reconstructing the Iranian and Indian world between Alexander and Islam
https://www.facebook.com/eranudturan
I agree entirely, Nadeem.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Robert, the last time the musculata was seen in the Paradise Islands with my spatha drinking Pina Coladas :lol: ...

I hope they're not getting caught in the rain, they could rust!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Republican Legionary Lorica Hamata Vergilius Salomonis Dextro 1 89 04-23-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: Arius
  Lorica Hamata Czear12 14 4,414 09-24-2015, 02:42 AM
Last Post: Czear12
  Lorica Hamata or Lorica Segmentata Purplest 14 5,458 08-27-2015, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Purplest