Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
late roman footwear
Pierpaolo,

the spatha has arrived! thank you very much; not only for making this beautiful piece, but also for responding so quickly to my emails and sending the pictures of the work in progress.

now I will have to look for some good 3rd c. footwear and a some baldric-fittings to complete my kit and take some pictures for showing....
https://www.armamentaria.com/store/index...20a&page=2

You may want to look at these for an off-the-shelf third century boot. These are not hobnailed, so I recommend you order these either seperatly and nail them yourself (take out the inner sole first :-) ) or specify you want them nailed to a Vindolanda pattern (see page 367 of Stepping Through Time). By 90 AD caliga had been replaced by boots, so even a Zwammerdam shoe as made by DSC is preferable over these for any second century impression. For third century, an Eyelet Boot (Style Ramshaw) would be prefered. If supplied with a tongue, just cut that away, as these were never included.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Robert, I had in mind these boots; thank you for your recommending them; it reassures me they are suitable! This time I will first take the measurements of my foot, or maybe cut my foot out in cardboard (instead of ordering size 43 right away) so Adrian can supply me with the perfect size! I dont want them as big as my caligae....

I think I will go with Markus Neidhardt for the balteus-fittings. And then...after two and a half years, my impression will be finished!

Maybe you noticed the spatha isn't sharpened. I will mainly use it for educational purposes in secondary schools, so I wanted to keep things safe!
I've split this off from the spatha thread. topic folks, topic....
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman footwear help Doc 5 1,778 01-14-2010, 08:04 AM
Last Post: Martin Moser
  Roman Footwear - all types, all periods (website) Theodosius the Great 5 2,794 01-27-2009, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Martin Moser