Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hollywood Romans -- New Feature Film about...
China anabasis one more time 8) :
http://geektyrant.com/news/2013/2/10/war...legio.html
Sigh.

There would be a great following for De Bello Gallico if only they'd make the film.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:China anabasis one more time 8) :
http://geektyrant.com/news/2013/2/10/war...legio.html

Isn't that based on Ben Kane's first novel?

Hope so, and they haven't just nicked the title and plot.... :woot:
Nathan Ross
Great scoop Pavel!

Here is mored on the screen writer:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118046663/

Looking for more on the film itself. It seems to me to be the result more of the film Rome Sweet Rome about US Marines Vs. Imperial Rome than of Ben Kane's novel. (More is the pity.) I wonder if this film will even make it out of Development Hell ...

Thanks again for the alert -- will keep an eye on this one.

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:It seems to me to be the result more of the film Rome Sweet Rome about US Marines Vs. Imperial Rome than of Ben Kane's novel. (More is the pity.)

Do you think somebody just bought the option on the novel, then got the screenwriter guy in to completely rewrite it until all that's left in the title and general theme? I believe this goes on in Hollywood (according to what I remember of William Goldman's books!)
Nathan Ross
Quote:
Narukami post=330298 Wrote:It seems to me to be the result more of the film Rome Sweet Rome about US Marines Vs. Imperial Rome than of Ben Kane's novel. (More is the pity.)

Do you think somebody just bought the option on the novel, then got the screenwriter guy in to completely rewrite it until all that's left in the title and general theme? I believe this goes on in Hollywood (according to what I remember of William Goldman's books!)

That is certainly possible, and yes indeed, it does happen all the time in Hollywood. In fact, it often happens that a studio will buy a screenplay simply to lock it away so it does not compete with a project they already have in development.

Now, you can not copyright a title, so it this movie may have nothing at all to do with Ben's novel, just a coincidence of titles. However ... Once a copy of the screenplay becomes available it may be worth comparing it to the novel.

The good news, I guess, is that Hollywood remains interested in Ancient Rome. Now if we could just get them to pay even a little attention to history ...

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
A little more on this new film project.

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/20...00-scribe/

This statement might give members of this Forum pause ...

This story is based on a recent discovery that seems to point to this faceoff having actually happened. Archaeologists recently found Roman architecture mixed in with Han Dynasty artifacts in a village in the Gansu province on the Chinese-Mongolian border. Though the town is called Lee-Chien, the townspeople reportedly call it “Legion.”

As many here know, this is not new or news. We have been discussing this topic for years now, and discounting most of it. Indeed, if I remember correctly, someone, or ones, suggested then that this might make for an amusing film. So here we are at last.

Of course this is not even the first film about a possible East-West confrontation in the Ancient World. There is this gem of a film:

http://www.amazon.com/Clash-Empires-Blu-...N0MVGXDRW4

Even for Hollywood Romans, Clash of Empires sets a new standard and a rather low one at that.

AND...

The original article about this new film project:

http://www.deadline.com/2013/02/300-and-...rner-bros/

Finally, the comments attached to this article on Ain't It Cool News are amusing:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/60862

The gods look down and laugh.

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:this movie may have nothing at all to do with Ben's novel, just a coincidence of titles.

Apparently it doesn't after all (I checked)... :whistle:

"Lost Legion might seem like a mash-up, but it’s based on recent discoveries that indicate this actually happened."

Yeah yeah... :mrgreen:

Quote:The gods look down and laugh.

Or as the dead fox in Antichrist said: Chaos Reigns!
Nathan Ross
Sorry, missed this until now.

As I mentioned to Nathan in a PM, I wish for the sake of my bank balance that this film was based on my novel, The Forgotten Legion ;-) . However, for the sake of any credibility that I might have here, or anywhere else, I am glad it has nothing to do with me in any way!
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
Ben, your credibility here is excellent -- no fears on that account.

That said I wish this production would purchase your book, and those of Graham Sumner and Adrian Goldsworthy. In fact not only buy them, but actually read them.

Graves played with history in his novels but his foundation was strong enough to allow for him to erect his imaginative structure of a story. The same holds true with your own book, Forgotten Legion. However, when it comes to this film I doubt very seriously that any such foundation in history exists. Perhaps I am mistaken and the writer is well versed in Roman History. I will be happy if proved wrong.

Maybe, just maybe, the production company will bother to contact or even hire some of our members to consult and advise. Such a position is usually a thankless task. Acting as a historical advisor on a film can often be a fool's errand, but occasionally it can have a positive impact.

If noting else Ben, if this film is a hit, it might boost sales of your own book.

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
For a proper Roman film, two criteria must be met: first, there have to be gladiators involved. Second, there has to be at least one blue-painted sort-of-Keltic guy, preferably several. The first shouldn't be a problem, since of course Crassus's legions naturally would have toted along a pack of gladiators while invading the Parthian empire. The Kelt might present more of a problem. Maybe they can score a twofer with a blue-painted Keltic gladiator. Or several.
Pecunia non olet
John is absolutely right -- According to Goldsworthy's 1st Rule of Hollywood Romans: Thou Shalt Have Gladiators.

Now I agree, the film producers will go for a 'twofer' but rather than hauling along a sting of gladiators, there will be a Celt, perhaps captured during Caesar's invasion of Briton (now they can hire a UK actor) who becomes a gladiator, wins his freedom, then joins the Army, rises to the rank of Centurion and ends up leading his fellow legionaries during their sojourn into China.

Fassbender already played a Centiurion with gladiatorial connections (his character's father was a famous gladiator) but perhaps he can revive the role, in-between playing the android in the Aliens prequels and Magneto in the X-Men series.

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
I say! Point of Order, m'lud!!

If the dreadful Eagle can have mohican "seal people" and a biker gang style pack of veterans I see NO problem with a wrecked ship landing a few Celts on a rugged shore...but yes, there were gladiators. Well, one gladiator and a non tap dancing Billy Elliot excuse for a Celt! :evil:
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Chances that if Iranians are in it, we'll be rhino-riding barbarianny almost naked Etruscan-speaking not even remotely accurate fantasy villains?

... I'd put it at around 94 %

:x :x :x

I reckon this film will have quite clear political under (or over) tones for the modern day.
Nadeem Ahmad

Eran ud Turan - reconstructing the Iranian and Indian world between Alexander and Islam
https://www.facebook.com/eranudturan
Quote: For a proper Roman film, two criteria must be met: first, there have to be gladiators involved.
No problem, any 'Roman' movie can start with a gladiator scene, underlining the brutality and perfidity of the Romans.

Quote:Second, there has to be at least one blue-painted sort-of-Keltic guy, preferably several. The first shouldn't be a problem, since of course Crassus's legions naturally would have toted along a pack of gladiators while invading the Parthian empire. The Kelt might present more of a problem. Maybe they can score a twofer with a blue-painted Keltic gladiator. Or several.
With one addition, the 'painted' guy MUST be yapping our ears off about the FREEEDOMM of his people, which is why he is fighting Rome and it's 'baaad' officials. (And which is the reason for him being even more brutal than the Romans, of course).
They can use a painted guy and make him a Scythian ally of the Parthians, or something. Parthians (Parni) were themselves very similar to Scythian peoples so that would not be very odd (leaving the fact aside that Scythians were not painted but who's counting anyway?).
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hollywood Romans -- Spartacus & Dalton Trumbo Narukami 6 2,512 08-18-2015, 02:07 PM
Last Post: ParthianBow
  New Feature Film on Cleopatra Narukami 11 2,770 01-24-2013, 06:07 PM
Last Post: Kegluneq
  Hollywood Romans - New Feature Film About Pilate Narukami 16 3,899 01-10-2013, 08:09 PM
Last Post: Alexand96