Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Feature Film on Cleopatra
Sony and Angelina Jolie have asked Ang Lee to direct a new feature film on Cleopatra. Based on the biography by Stacy Schiff, this project has been lost in Development Hell for a couple of years, but now it seems to be moving forward and quickly.

The other potential Cleopatra film, a musical to star Catherine Zeta-Jones and Hugh Jackman, continues to languish. Perhaps the Sony film will give new life to the Musical Queen.

I wonder if Lee will cast Brad Pitt as Mark Antony ... ?

http://www.japantoday.com/category/arts-...3-01-21_AM

Ang Lee mulls directing historical epic 'Cleopatra'
ARTS & CULTURE JAN. 21, 2013 - 06:54AM JST ( 0 )

TAIPEI (AFP) —
Oscar-winning director Ang Lee said Saturday he will “probably” accept an offer to direct historical epic “Cleopatra” starring Angelina Jolie, after the Hollywood actress wrote to him asking him to come on board.

Lee, whose 3D adventure “Life of Pi” has earned 11 Oscar nominations, said he would read the script before making a decision but the project was “very attractive”.

“Sony has asked me to shoot the movie and Angelina Jolie wrote to me to express her wishes to collaborate. We admire each other… the project looks very attractive,” the Taiwanese-American told reporters in Taipei.

“It’s a big-budget movie so I am carefully evaluating it ... this is a rare opportunity and I will probably take it.”

Lee returned to his birth place over the weekend to celebrate after “Life of Pie” earned 11 Oscar nominations, including best picture and best director.

The movie, based on the novel by Yann Martel about about an Indian boy cast adrift with a Bengal tiger, has become Lee’s highest-grossing film ever with more than $450 in global box office sales, according to 20th Century Fox.

About 70 percent of the movie was shot in Taiwan, including at a now-abandoned airport in the centre of the country where Lee’s team built a specially designed wave-generating tank.

Asked if he plans to cast his son Mason Lee, who starred in “The Hangover Part II”, in his future projects, Lee joked that he would rather not “torture” his kin.

“He likes acting and I give him my blessings… I am tough on actors but it’s difficult to be tough on your own son and it’d be an unnecessary torture for us. I’d rather torture other people’s kids.”

The filmmaker, who is based in New York, was hailed as the “glory of Taiwan” after becoming the first Asian to win a best director Oscar for his gay cowboy drama “Brokeback Mountain” in 2007.

As always, time will tell.

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Pah! Stands no chance of being anywhere near as good as Carry On Cleo. Personally, I'm holding out for the vampire zombie apocalypse version with Miranda Hart as Cleo and a digitally manipulated (!) Frankie Howerd as Antony (provisionally titled Oooh! No!! Stop Messing About).

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Zombie Cleo ....

I like the sound of that! 8)

Now if we just add in Will Smith and some Nazi Zombies (Nazi Zombie Lesbians if it all possible) it will be an absolute smash hit.

"Zombies Down The Nile"

When you accept your Oscar for this film Mike, please remember us little people from the before times .... :woot:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Yes, I very fondly recall "Carry On, Cleo" It has been eons since I saw that one! Big Grin
Quinton Johansen
Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae
Quote:Now if we just add in Will Smith and some Nazi Zombies (Nazi Zombie Lesbians if it all possible)
Okay, that requires a rewrite of the asses' milk bath scene to a huge tub of chocolate, but we'll cope.

Quote:When you accept your Oscar for this film Mike, please remember us little people from the before times
I'll be crying too much, daaaahhhlink, to remember the small folk.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
I hope they cast Hulk Hogan as Cleo, that would be awesome.
Jass
Angelina already has the role of Cleopatra. However ...

The roles of Caesar and Antony are still open.

They have pitched Brad Pitt as Antony (for obvious reasons) but he seems inclined to resist that and instead is contemplating the role of Pilate in another feature film.

Of course if the producers do cast Pitt as Antony then we can expect George Clooney as Julius Caesar. :|

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Well, if Ang Lee has it at least the filmatography will be good.

How about Michael Fassbender as Antony? Haven't seen his knees for a while.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Weren't they ripped off in Prometheus Moi?

I bet Chuck Norris would make a good Caesar :woot:

What am I saying? Chuck Norris makes everything good.
Quote:Well, if Ang Lee has it at least the filmatography will be good.

How about Michael Fassbender as Antony? Haven't seen his knees for a while.

Interesting choice -- that could work very nicely indeed.

Right now there is no indication what the producers are thinking in terms of casting, and of course if Lee does sign on as director he will have a large voice in who does get cast. That said, if Hollywood follows true to form then they will likely cast UK, or Commonwealth, actors as the Romans, so Fassbender may well be an actor they consider.

As always, time will tell.

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
As long as it isn't Jake Gyllenhall after the dreadful Prince of Persia thing!!

The screen writer(s) choice would be crucial to make the book really come alive.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Unless Angelina Jolie wears an enormous prosthetic nose, I don't really see the point...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hollywood Romans -- New Feature Film about... AMELIANVS 46 8,645 08-22-2013, 11:47 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Hollywood Romans - New Feature Film About Pilate Narukami 16 3,917 01-10-2013, 08:09 PM
Last Post: Alexand96
  Hollywood Romans -- New Feature Film on Pompeii Narukami 20 3,480 11-16-2012, 08:07 PM
Last Post: Appeaceboophy