Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Walking long distances in full roman battle kit
Hi Craig, love the enthusiasm you are bringing to your Wall trek! Hope you raise all the funds you are hoping for and you and your family have a great time.

When you say you have wet weather clothing, do you mean you have a wool cloak or are you using modern waterproofs? Not to cast an air of dread over the quest, but when I was digging at Vindolanda in early July last year, the rain was pretty much relentless (we lost a day and a half of digging because of it)... Having a wool cloak would mean you didn't ruin your 'look'. (Sorry if you've already answered this.)
Quote:I ordered the caligae the same size so this might explain why they are destroying my feet!!
Wear socks and put layers of thick felt insoles in them. That will give padding on the bottom and fill in the vertical space so the shoes stay in the right place in that dimension.

You can get really thick felt at auto parts stores sometimes (they use it inside the hood and trunk), or an upholstery shop (they put it over the springs in couches), or saddle shops (used for saddle padding in certain types of saddle.) Cuts easily with heavy shears or a small band saw. Be sure to make the insoles the size and shape of the SHOE, not the foot. You want to stop motion. Your foot will make a custom-fitted hollow in the felt as you wear the caligae.

Note, some kinds of felt soak up water, which is ok for sweat, but trouble if you step in a puddle. Just sayin'
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
What kind of caligae do you have? I know when I wore my Deepeeka caligae to an event last year, one came apart at the heel as I was walking back to my car in after 8 hours in them. Mind you it wasn't hard time either, they just aren't as well made

Also, your segmentata doesn't weigh 30kgs does it?
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
How will you carry the shield?
[Image: inaciem-bandeau.png]
I did 6.9 miles in an hour and 45 minutes with about 80lbs worth. You are going to have to suspend the scutum over your back like a back pack. You will also have to find some way to stabilize the scutum so your pack does not make the scutum shift on you back. Your caligae have to be a perfect fit and you will have to have thick wool socks for padding. You need to do several test hikes in full kit to make sure everything is in a comfortable place in order to cover long distances. You will also need to consider having extra padding for your shoulders the weight of your pack will kill you if you choose ware hamata.
Thanks for all the help everybody! I did a 10 km today but had to take sandals off after 1 km, going to try felt as suggested as they move around on feet.

Where would I order a woolen authentic cloak to wear over armour or do you wear it under?

Also, I'm going to have to buy a scutum, gladius, light pilum and pugio and get it delivered to guides as I don't want to risk bringing them through customs?
Hi

I ordered from deepeeka but replaced sole with modern base as Im having trouble walking in them without huge blisters!

The weight is estimated as I have a large chest and had to get an extra large size, do you know the exact weight of one plus helmet scutum, gladius, Pugio and belts etc?
Hey Craig, best of luck mate on your adventure with your family...sounds like a really cool thing you are doing. Maybe take some good walking shoes if your sandals fail you. I have to say unless they are worn in and fit snug, they are certainly the most uncomfortable footwear going!! Blisters galore.
Mate do us Aussies proud as you walk the wall of the Mother land.

Regards

Phil
Phil McKay
Illustrator
www.philmckay.com
It's great to read about your enthusiasm for walking the Wall.

Could I just ask that you and anyone else who walks along this irreplaceable monument to treat the remains with respect. Please don't walk on them, particularly in iron hobnails, so that they are still there for our great grandchildren to see... Don't take bits as souvenirs, scratch your name on the stones, glue anything on, or any of the other things that people seem to do every year. I'm sure you won't, but so many thoughtless people do. Have a great trip - hopefully there will be a summer this year for you!
Robin,

I'm sure you don't mean to offend me by posting this, ive replaced the hobnails with a modern sole for comfort and to minimize damage. I'm trying not to be offended by this post as it assumes I have to be reminded this. I don't. Despite my convict heritage and the behavior of some Australians abroad I can assure you I come from good parents, was an anti terrorist policeman with medals for ethical service and am a succesful businessman with a great wife and well behaved children. This would be like me reminding you that if you ever go to an Australian rules game, don't swear, chant offensive songs, light fares, rip your seat out and throw it at the opposition supporters or punch them in the face. I'm sure you won't but many do at English soccer games and i don't want you to bring that behavior to our game!
Actually my wife's family were the first free settlers in Australia, (Rose) and my family have an extensive naval background so I don't really have convict heritage but you get my point, ( presented as humor of course).
Oh and one more thing Robin, I'm ok about any weather as we don't whinge about anything really, but let's hope it's nice and sunny!! Thanks for the advice, I'm sure I will keep an eye out for any transgressors and let you know.
Craig

Please accept my sincere apologies. I certainly had no intention of offending you in any way. I live on Hadrian's Wall and unfortunately over the years I have seen a lot of abuse of the remains occur, not only by casual tourists, but by reenactors posing for photographs on the Wall. Despite the government organisation that looks after the wall having a code of conduct for visitors to preserve the remains, even their own people often ignore it. As a matter of fact, I have good Australian friends who have walked the Wall in the past with my assistance, so I certainly don't have any problem with any nationality. We're all descended from the same stock if you go back far enough. We both had about 1 million ancestors around the time the Wall was built, so some of them probably did some of the work - or objected to it! Like I said - have a great adventure - and if you see people doing wrong, or people ask you to stand on the Wall, please explain why not.
Robin,

No problems, better check what your house is made from, your local church, castle and local major buildings, I understand after the Romans left the Poms couldn't be bothered cutting their own stone so they took it after the well organized, armoured Romans left he wall undefended!!! Just mucking around Robin. I'm sure you get Australian humour if you have Aussie friends!!
Just encouraging recycling ahead of the current fad!