Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gallic C, a reconstruction
Here is my new Gallic C hand-forged from a sheet steel (the bowl is one piece) by a master blacksmith Vyacheslav Perepelitsa from Kiev, Ukraine. The reproduction is an accurate copy of the original that was found in the Kupa River in 1901 and is currently displayed in the Archaeological Museum in Zagreb, Croatia. Ivan Radman-Livaja, a curator of the museum whom I personally know, was kind enough to supply high-resolution photos and invaluable info on the helmet. All the available data were taken into account for the reconstruction. The peak and the attachments used to secure the crest were reproduced after available data on other Gallic helmets (the 1911 publication by Hoffiller mentions the traces of the peak, and Robinson mentions the rivet holes; due to several restorations of the helmet the holes are no longer visible). The decorative frontal band has been reconstructed after the small piece preserved on the original and the band on the Gallic F, found in the same river and displayed in the same museum. The fork is made after a Vindonissa find. Here are some photos of the helmet:
[attachment=7010]1_2013-04-21.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=7011]2.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=7012]3.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=7013]4_2013-04-21.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=7014]5.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=7015]6.jpg[/attachment]

And here is me wearing it Smile
[attachment=7016]IMG_3908.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

quando omni flunkus, mortati
That is a fantastic reconstruction!
My compliments to the craftsman and congratulations
To you on a fantastic helmet!
Always a favourite of mine!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Excellent reconstruction......FINALLY

That is the best reconstruction I have ever seen of that helmet.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Wow very nice helmet. Good job!
It\'s always best to keep a Spaniard in your closet, just in case.
Beautiful helmet Alexander, I noticed in your impression you have the Castleford Caligae? Are they the DSC ones?
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
Everyone, thank you for your kind words.

Matt, affirmative on the caligae. This is something that I will have to work in the future to make or get me the proper ones.
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

Fantastic work!
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
Wonderful helmet, great finish on the surface, proportions are perfect, fits like a glove...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Quote:Matt, affirmative on the caligae. This is something that I will have to work in the future to make or get me the proper ones.

You don't like the DSC ones? I was considering buying a pair
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
Spot on reconstruction! Exactly like the one we have had made by Nigel Clough way back in the late 80's.
This one has a nicer brow band though : D Who made it?
Paul Karremans
Chairman and founding member
Member in the Order of Orange-Nassau, awarded for services to Roman Living History in the Netherlands

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.gemina.nl">http://www.gemina.nl
est.1987
Thank you all again for your kind comments.

Paul, the info on the maker is in the original post. Matt, since this thread is on Gallic C helmet, I answered your question via PM.
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

Thanks for the praise I like that my work is appreciated by you. Site I posted a photo and a description of the manufacturing process of this helmet.
http://www.artarmor.com.ua/index.php/sho...-11-detail
All questions please write to email [email protected]
avete omnes

a really fantastic helmet,absolutly hight quality.....Laudes,laudes,Laudes
PierPaolo siercovich
Quote:Thanks for the praise I like that my work is appreciated by you. Site I posted a photo and a description of the manufacturing process of this helmet.
http://www.artarmor.com.ua/index.php/sho...-11-detail
All questions please write to email [email protected]

Welcome to the site! It truly is a remarkable piece, hopefully we'll get to see it soon!
Hello Alex,

How is the brow band attached on this helmet? Is it soldered on? If so, I concur with the reconstruction. The original does not appear to have any holes to hold it in place although as you mentioned in the beginning of your post the restorations have probably covered the holes for everything. Is there evidence of the holes that have loops to tie the crest or these too have been covered with restorations. I agree however, that all the features of the reconstruction are accurate when considering other Gallic helmets.

Alexander I sent you a PM about the Gallic C helmet.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  reconstruction of Gallic G helmet Manius Acilius Italicus 26 6,086 03-15-2013, 09:47 PM
Last Post: Manius Acilius Italicus
  New Imperial Gallic D Reconstruction Doc 29 6,767 11-25-2011, 02:20 AM
Last Post: Dean Cunningham metalsmit
  New Reconstruction of Gallic A jkaler48 2 1,367 01-29-2011, 04:07 AM
Last Post: Ilario