Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quivers
I am moving forward on a number of leather components for my Dura-Europos kit, and would like advice from the knowledgeable members of RAT about quivers. I do not use a horse in the programming I do here at the ROM (they are a trifle inconvenient indoors), but we do have an archery range, so I need a quiver appropriate for a horse-archer, but which is actually carried on the person.

There was a quiver post from 9 years ago by Mithras with links that no longer function, and a post from almost two years ago which also has links that do not function (links to the image base, I think) so perhaps it is time to bring it up again?

Looking at available images (such as in Simon James book on the Dura finds) the quiver would be largely cylindrical with a flat bottom and slightly wider at the top; be deep enough for the shafts but not the fletching; have bands around it (whether painted or strengthening I don't know, maybe both); and possibly a medallion or something painted in the middle (I'm thinking the shield's decoration would probably resemble the shield designs found at Dura). Typically it seems to be hung from the rear side of the saddle, but similar quivers are also carried on the back (the triclinium of the Maqqai in Palmyra seems to depict both - http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/origin...2e0282.jpg), and also hung at the waist (mostly Sasanian depictions). It may or may not have a bow case attached (I intend to not). It seems from some depictions that the straps are attached to the strengthening bands around the quiver (which would be logical).

So I think with this I can make something that would not give Julius Terentius cause to look twice, but I'd like to know if anyone has any other sources, and if else has tackled a quiver of this period, and if they have, would they post photos of it?
Robert Mason D.Phil (Oxon)
World Cultures, Royal Ontario Museum, 100 Queen's Park, Toronto, Ontario, M5S 2C6, Canada.
Near and Middle Eastern Civilizations, University of Toronto, 4 Bancroft Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, M5S 1C1, Canada.
E-mail: [email protected]
Hi Robert,

I made this quiver back in 2005. It is simply based on the description of quivers in Ian Stephenson's Roman Infantry Equipment that they "appear on foot archers gravestones, where they are depicted as being cylindrical in shape and worn diagonally across the souldier's back". A recreation is partially scene on Plate 11. On Page 44 is a sculpural ullustration of a bracer (though fastened on the wrong side of the wrist).

[Image: SAM_9496_zpsa4d672ce.jpg]

[Image: SAM_9498_zpsff465a21.jpg]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/17815...d_i=468294

Charting the Third Century military crisis - with a focus on the change in weapons and tactics.
Thanks for this. Would it be possible for you to post your arm-guard image? I found an image once, and made an arm-guard based on it, and lost the reference! Although the Dura archers were probably thumb-draw guys, *my* archers are all finger-pullers!

Best
Robert
World Cultures, Royal Ontario Museum, 100 Queen's Park, Toronto, Ontario, M5S 2C6, Canada.
Near and Middle Eastern Civilizations, University of Toronto, 4 Bancroft Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, M5S 1C1, Canada.
Any information on 1st century quivers?
Valete,
Titvs Statilivs Castvs - Sander Van Daele
LEG XI CPF
COH VII RAET EQ (part of LEG XI CPF)

MA in History
[attachment=7885]100_1148.jpg[/attachment]
Here mine :-)

Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
I'll post the sculpture later. This is my copy which is very much like the original:
[Image: bracer.jpg]
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis

Charting the Third Century military crisis - with a focus on the change in weapons and tactics.
That looks like the guard I saw, as you say the lacing is on the "wrong" side in the depiction and would interfere with the bowstring. I liked it because it looked like the 3rd century boots I bought from Armamentaria! Like the boots I made the laces in the same piece of leather in my hurried first try, but I wanted to look at the depiction again to make a final version (and also to know what my source was!). My first attempt is attached, with the boot that was the partial inspiration.

[attachment=7888]braceboot.JPG[/attachment]

Quote:Here mine :-)

Thanks for this, Robert. Any chance you would like to share how you attached the strap?
This is the carving.

Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis

Quote:This is the carving.

Really? That doesn't look like a boot at all! Do you know where the original is?
That is a drawing by KR Dixon of a bracer on Trajan's Column....
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis

@Robert

I attached the strap by lacing a leather cord through the holes. Two holes at the bottom, four at the top. The strap is attached with the bottom end flat against the quiver and the top end pointing upward, so the quivers rides a bit higher. Ahhh, just ran up and took another snap, much easier to explain :-)

[attachment=7889]100_3949.jpg[/attachment]

Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Quote:@Robert
I attached the strap by lacing a leather cord through the holes. Two holes at the bottom, four at the top. The strap is attached with the bottom end flat against the quiver and the top end pointing upward, so the quivers rides a bit higher. Ahhh, just ran up and took another snap, much easier to explain :-)

Thanks! I notice Paul (Mithras) attaches his in the same way, is this a known way of strap attachment in Roman leather-working?

Robert
Quote:That is a drawing by KR Dixon of a bracer on Trajan's Column....

On a Roman or a Dacian? I'll have to look for it. I spent a couple of hours at the University library here poring over the books on the column and could not see a brace, I obviously need better photos - or a trip to Rome!
No idea Robert, try and find photos of the archer auxiliaries, it may be them. I used leather thong because it is tougher and more durable than linen thread. Doubtless Robert (the other one!) had the same idea.
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  javelin quivers Mick Saunders 1 2,143 10-23-2007, 09:57 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  Late Quivers Carlton Bach 10 4,440 06-30-2005, 12:08 PM
Last Post: Mithras