Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Quivers
or maybe not late. I just noticed the type in the Vergilius Romanus and they look interesting.
[Image: vergiliusromanusquiver.jpg]

[Image: vergiliusromanusquiver2.jpg]

[Image: vergiliusromanusquiver3.jpg]

Does anyone know how they are made? My first guess would be a soft leather core with stiffer (maybe hardened) leather bands around. I could also see bark, but I guess that would need to be multilayered.

Any finds? Excavation reports? I dimly recall seeing a Germanic quiver of vaguely similar appearance being recovered from a bog, but I have no idea when or where I saw that.
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
Ther is a site www.atarn.org (asiatic traditional archery.)
I did search using Skythian bows and Pesrian bows and I was directed to links with reconstructed bows arrows and quivers.
Celts and Germancs might be influenced by the Skythians.

The tomp of Philip (Alexander's father) in Vergina revealed a golden Skythian Bowcase-quiver.
I hope I helped
Kind regards
Stefanos
What date is the Vergilius Romanus, Carlton?
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
Quote:What date is the Vergilius Romanus, Carlton?

late 5th century

Volker Bach
I have seen modern quivers which are shaped almost exactly like these, made of wicker. :wink:
Lucius Aurelius Metellus
a.k.a. Jeffrey L. Greene
Quote:
Mithras:1y8jffjj Wrote:What date is the Vergilius Romanus, Carlton?

late 5th century

Well, 5th century probably, but I'd say early rather than late 5th century.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:
Carlton Bach:19d37mjz Wrote:
Mithras:19d37mjz Wrote:What date is the Vergilius Romanus, Carlton?

late 5th century

Well, 5th century probably, but I'd say early rather than late 5th century.

David H. Wright says late 5th century, but I don't know on what basis. What makes you think it's earlier?

Volker Bach
Ken Dark, too, has it down as a British product of the later 5th century ("closer to AD 500 than AD 400"). Martin Henig rather favours a 4th-century date. Of course everything is possible, but if Henig is right, a Late 5th c. dating would be very out of the ordinary for a British product. For one, it's a pagan book, which is odd for a late 5th century work (though remotely possible). Also, there's the fashion, which is very much Late Roman. Now I'd be the last to even contemplate that all this Roman cultural stuff vanished from Britain with the Romans. But I doubt this Roman clothing fashion was kept up in Britain to make it into a literary work of art such as the Vergilius Romanus if that was a late 5th century work. Now if the book was Late 4th century or early 5th century, neither would be so muich of a problem.
Just my thoughts, of course. You can read more about them here: [url:2bgwuzrx]http://www.vortigernstudies.org.uk/artlit/vergilius.htm[/url]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Absolutely fascinating. I've not seen this before. I'm a Late Roman re-enactor (circa 380 - 400). Those guys look like they're wearing calcei like mine, which contradicts some re-enactors views on LR footwear... They are definately ankle-height leather boots ...
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
Hi Paul,
This is just a touch off the subject, but I must say I completely agree with you concerning the ankle boots/calcei for late Romans. I wear them too, and have never been in favor of the lower "slipper" looking styles. To me, however authentic they may be, they seem far too impractical for an infantryman compared to good, sturdy boots. Yes, I know that they did wear the ballet-slipper-looking shoes, I'm just saying that I personally don't like them as much as calcei. :wink:
Lucius Aurelius Metellus
a.k.a. Jeffrey L. Greene
Yes, this is off topic, I'm sorry! But I've been staring at those paintings for hours now absolutely fascinated.

End of boot discussion Tongue
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Quivers ROMan 51 7,991 10-28-2013, 07:59 PM
Last Post: ROMan
  javelin quivers Mick Saunders 1 2,148 10-23-2007, 09:57 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius