Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lorica Squamata closing method
Gaius,
Thank you very much. I already purchased some neats foot oil. I was told that if I worm it and mix with some bees wax it will be better. Especially for the foot ware. As for as the Squamata goes, you are correct, it is silver plated. I thought that a centurion would be the kind of person who goes the extra mile. I have to replace the buckles on the doubler, and figure out an easier way to secure the side but over all I am very pleased. My Squamata is a lot lighter than the body armor I used to wear when I was a MarineSmile. I am sure that a fighting centurion would like Squamata because of the flexibility it affords. My rational for adding a doubler is that it affords extra protection especially from downward blows.
From the experience of members in my Legion who wear Squamata, when worn properly and with a belt it offers a lot of back support.
Flavious,
I am very glad to heat that because I have back problems. I have to say that I was very surprised about how comfortable it was. Once I fix my tunic to fit a bit better and get a scarf to protect the neck a little more I think I could wear it all day long with little discomfort.
I take it the squamata has lether lacing up the side? I would replace them with a set of buckles, makes it easier and a more secure way of fastening. I have had my squamata fitted with buckles.
I think I'll try that warm wax technique as well.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Buckles is the way to go for sure. There it's no way I would use the lace up method if I was in the roman army. You can't do it by yourself which would probably be bad for your health in case of a sudden attach at night.
I am not sure that buckles was really a concern. The musculata armor was fastened with hinges or tie loops and squamata is more flexible. Besides, we sometimes talk about Roman soldiers as if they were alone in an isolated environment. The reality most likely was that they helped each other out. When I put on my musculata, there are two people helping me. The same will be when I complete my squamata...one person to tie up the side.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Doc,
I am sure you are right. I am just saying that if I was a centurion I would want to be able to get into my gear fast. In any case faster than my legioners in case of a night attack (the only time I would have my armor off) for example so I can provide leadership, command and control in already chaotic situation. As you say thought officers had folks to assist them. However, I will have to have my son flogged he took way too much time threading the side of my armorSmile
You could put just tie loops at the sides instead of buckles. Someone here in RAT did that with his squamata but I do not remember the title of the post.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
closing method

copying the closing method for the Cuirass (rings and ties)
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]
Hello Markus,

Thanks for helping me out. I forgot it was you LOL.

I am planning on doing what you have done with the squamata. I was also entertaining to make tie loops as in the Corbridge B girdle plates on the front.

Paolo
Doc, the buckles would be the sensible way to do it, as opposed to lacing running through holes in the scale.
Regardless of who is helping you, it is just not a sensible option.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Hello Byron,

If the choice is buckles vs what he has right now, then buckles are more sensible. However, if the choice is buckles or the ties the way Markus shows it.....then either one is sensible. However, looking at the evidence of armors that have two halves coming together........segmentata for instance........the girdle plates are tied with loops albeit on the front. Would this armor not also need some assistance to put on? Would it not also be faster if someone helped with tying the loops. Do you not have to thread all those loops with some sort of lace? I do not think you can just undo the knot.......the laces must be removed to take off or put on a seggie....no? For a squamata there are only two or three ties whereas in a seggie there are lots more.

If you look at musculata, then there are tie loops as shown by Markus.

So in actuality the most common methods are not buckles and it does not appear to have bothered the Romans to tie so many laces on armor.

Paolo
I was thinking about this last night and it occurred to me that in an emergency just tying on a belt or two will hold the armor in place. I have see a grave stone of centurion Favinious I think who had a wide belt on and a more narrow belt a little lower to which I think his puggio is attached too.
Guys, as interesting as tightening a cuirass properly is, this thread is about roman impressions! Wink
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
I added it to an already existing thread. Smile
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  how to build a lorica squamata munazio planco 12 5,941 11-04-2020, 10:31 PM
Last Post: Crispvs
  Questions regarding construction of a Lorica Squamata cannonfodder90 3 1,332 02-09-2020, 08:48 AM
Last Post: Crispianus
  Making a lorica squamata for a seven year old boy - some questions Iskierka 1 878 10-15-2018, 04:04 AM
Last Post: Crispvs