Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Praetorian Guard Cavalry equipment.
Hello all,

Please for give me but I dont have the time and much internet access too look too much int this other than a Quick Google search.....

I am interested in the Roman Cavalry Equipment, I am not too interested in their Unconteorble 4 horned Saddle and plus I think my Roping Saddle would do better, I am more interested in their Tack and Horse armor and What Armor the Praetorian Guard Cavalry wore.

I has an Arabian Mare who is 5, she is kind of stubborn and my Cowboy friends make fun of her but damn is she faster than their QH's lol but I is interested in Getting some Roman Praetorian Guard Cavalry equipment. I asked our Tack guy and he was like Get me Pictures and I can make it, for he only knows Western Tack.

I dont know when I will be able to Log back on and check this but Pictures of what I am looking for would be Great. I dont think my Iron Worker friend can make Armor so where is a Good place to get some Good armor, Like for Example, If I some how had a “Magical Time Machine” and went back in time to Rome say before the Crisis of the 3nd Century, I want the armor to be as good or better........

Anyways........

I hope I can be back on line tomorrow or perhaps later this week but that is not guaranteed.....
thanks

VLLC
Victor Lawrence
first of all welcome to RAT

i am assuming that you are reffering to the equites singulars augusti

sas far as i see it, i think their armor for regular combat was pretty mucht the same as for the rest of the auxiliary cavalry man of the time

for horse armor i would recommend to look at the straubing finds, where there were found several parts of horse "armor" (basically the piece for the horses forehead and eyes but i dont know the english term in german they are called ross stirn
http://www.nordwaechter.de

Thomas Hatzmann aka Lucius Tagomas / Halfdan Egilson
Sure I guess that is what they is called,

I made this account i think a year ago so i can read some posts cuz it wouldnt let me unless logged in or something, I almost forgot about it until i was on line looking for Roman Tack for my Mare. lol

I am considering getting this Lorica Segmentata and some of the Lorica Hamata but i cant find any good helments that are 16g steel or better, they are is all 18g steel.

http://www.historicalclothingrealm.com/hc-402.html

http://www.historicalclothingrealm.com/ah6802.html

http://www.historicalclothingrealm.com/p...hield.html

I found the Horse head plate thing, that is close to what I is looking for, But as for the Roman Style bridle and reins i relay cant find any good photos. and as for the Gladius, where can i find a Good one that is Battle Ready? I dont wish to spend money on one that will break when i am attacking Trees in my spare time.... Also I asked my farrier friend can pound out some Spear Heads and Lizard stickers in No time so I is not worried about buying any...........

Ill probably be back online in a week or so...... Until Then XD
Victor Lawrence
First of all decide which period exactly you're looking for. Cavalry gear changed as much as did the equipment of the infantry. The earlier mentioned straubing finds are extremely decorated and wonderful pieces, but they are 3rd century.

If you're looking into cavalry impressions don't get yourself either a lorica segmentata nor a gladius. Both items doesn't seem to have been used on horseback.

As for pics I would suggest you to get some books first and start researching/reading. Best start would be
- Markus Junkelmann - Die Reiter Roms (I, II and III)
- Southern and Dixon - The Roman cavalry

or a shorter intro (no pictures, small number of nice drawings): Peter Connolly - The Cavalryman
ALA I BATAVORUM
Also, DO NOT GET 16 Guage. It is inaccurate. 18 guage is what most people make helmets and armor in, but 20 guage is better if you can find it.
Ummmmmmm 16G is thicker than 18G, .......

I was thinking something like the Movie Gladiator, General Maximus Decimus Meridius in the begginning had some bad ass Armor on, and was horse back with his Cavalry Unit in a Charge against the Germans.........

I also has a 8ft ASH Pole I aquired and is going to Fit a Spear Head and Lizard Sticker on,...

I showed my Tack guy the photos and he was like Thats English Tack that has been Fancied up....... lol and since I is useing my Roping saddle instead of that Unconfortable 4 Horned Saddle the Romans used, plus, i dont want to retrain my Mare for a Roman Saddle......

hay guys I got to go, Important stuff needs to be done, Got some Bad cows that need to be made good.

Be on when ever I can.......
Victor Lawrence
I know how Gauges work, this stuff was made in 18 and 20 Gauge. Anything thicker than 18 would be inaccurate.

As for the "Gladiator Armor", that never existed. And if Leather Armor did exist it was only a parade item, never was it used in the field.

There have been many long debates about this and the consensus is without further evidence, Leather Armor is a no.

For a praetorian guard, the fanciest thing I can think of for sure is Lorica Plumata.

I'm not trying to put you down here, I'm just trying to prevent you from making mistakes that only contribute to the many misconceptions about the Roman Army.
Quote:I was thinking something like the Movie Gladiator, General Maximus Decimus Meridius in the begginning had some bad ass Armor on, and was horse back with his Cavalry Unit in a Charge against the Germans.........
My personal opinion:although very similar suits of armour to what Maximus have in the movie existed even in reality all real Roman clothing,armour and equipment looked so much much much more badass and beautiful then what any movie costume from Gladiator or other Hollywood type roman movie ever showed us.
I'm wondering if you've ever been riding in a Roman saddle, as your statement of it being uncomfortable seems to be very blunt and short-viewed. It is not that bad at all. Personally (and I know some more) I prefer it over a modern English dressage saddle.

Furthermore, that movie has nothing to do with what it was really like, nor do we have much knowledge on movie-props on here. There are more knowledgeable forums about movie-props.
If you like the real historical way, stay away from Hollywood and start researching.
ALA I BATAVORUM
I realy dont think everything was the way perpetrated on the Tragins Colom...... When I was in the US Army, yes we all had Issued Gear, but it was our choice to arrange it to suet our needs, Everyone was required to have their IBA, ACH, and all First Ade kits was on the Left Back side..... back then how i understand it, You was Required to Buy and Provide your Own Armor and Arms if you was a Cavaly Man, So in my Ideas, If would be Cheaper and more easy to Buy the Segmentata and Hamata ready made from the Armorer, Thts what I would do, then again is a Pinny pinching basterd lol........

Roman Saddles has no Stirrups, When I was younger my GF many years ago tried to teach I English Riding...... I know understand why English People has funny accents............ Plus, I dont have the Time and or feel like Retraining my Gal Roman Saddle, my Roping saddle will do just fine.......

I understand that Movies are is more dermatic than the Real thing but in my perspective, like I said, If i had a “Magical Time Machine” and went back in time to Rome............. If i is going to be charging into battle against 50,000 angry Germanians, Ill be wearing lot more than just Lorica Hamata and greeves and a sheald.......... Ill damn sure has a Segmentata and a Gladius when my Spear brakes......... or if I got Knocked off my Mount or it was Killed from Under me.....

I think for Prcice When i am out pushing bad cows and making them good cows, Ill were my Gear and Poking them with my spear....... If I draw blood, They probably desired it...........

Where can I get a Good pair of Sandals? Iv seen many of them Online but I dont know what ones are the Best......

and Pants, how I understand it in the winter they wore Pants..... where would I find a Pair of Roman Style Winter Pants.
Victor Lawrence
As a cavalryman you don't want a gladius, you would prefer the longer spatha.
As for pants 'historic enterprises' sells a good replica of the Thorsberg thousers, dating form the later Roman period. For my 1st century kit I prefer short leather trousers.
For a cavalry impression you can also go for closed calceii. But for off-the-shelf sandels I found the AER ones to be the best. Otherwise get some custom made or do it yourself following the tutorials by Matt Ampt and Jared Fleury.

And to be honest, I think I did a bit more research than looking at Trajans column only...
Good luck with your adventure.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Umm... you have a very misguided view of the Roman Army.

First of All, just like a modern professional Army the government supplied most of your equipment from the 1st century BC onwards. This resulted in a high level of standardization.

Second of all Hamata was generally considered better than segmentata, as it was more flexible, covered more of your body, and was just as effective at stopping blows.

After the early 2nd century pretty much everyone wore boots, and caligae were phased out in all but the eastern provinces. Why? We don't know. For Principate era I recommend DSC's Fell boots from Vindolanda.

Most of our understanding of the Roman army comes from more than just Trajan's column. There are plenty of archaeological finds dictating who wore what.
Quote:Second of all Hamata was generally considered better than segmentata, as it was more flexible, covered more of your body, and was just as effective at stopping blows.
I'm afraid that's supposition, not fact. We have no idea what the Romans thought of the various types of armour available to them and the fact that segmentata continued in use well into the 3rd century suggests it was still favoured by some over the alternatives. Always best to stick to the facts :-)

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
That is true.
On the other hand Hamata proved to be historically most commonly and longest used type of armour in the roman army-I think that gives some points to it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Praetorian guard helmet Pugio 1 1,711 03-22-2007, 01:16 PM
Last Post: Magnus
  Roman Cavalry Equipment??? Caius Fabius 3 1,410 12-10-2004, 08:14 PM
Last Post: Anonymous