here are some pic from carnuntum
[attachment=9993]P1030328.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=9994]P1030331.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

AgrimensorLVCIVS FLAVIVS SINISTER
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX
As shown earlier I have made a Roman Eagle standard however when I look at the one from Carnuntum I do begin to wonder as has been mentioned in history, the Romans were against Kingship so would this kind of eagle with a laurel around the wings have been represented as a Silver laurel but not Gold.
This question comes from what we learn that eagle stands were Silver/Gilt and such a sacred part of a Legion.
Brian Stobbs
Thanks Brian, but as i look at the Eagle it isn't a laurel but an oakleaf corona. but i second you on that it should be silver. In my humble opinion even thelightningbolts should be silver.
further a pic of a french Napoleon eagle.

[attachment=9999]CIMG3684.JPG[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX
I think the question still remains of what happened to them all?
the next new discovery channel documentary " Why did the Roman legion eagles didsappaer and where are they now?" with beautiful shots of rome and dark forrest regions and even the persian desert for the quest for the lost Eagles. Looking forward on when it will be on Wink)
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX
Quote:I think the question still remains of what happened to them all?

Melted down as idols...or just for the money (I assume)
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
That's what I always assumed.
As they were made maybe of gold and silver they might have been re-fashioned or just melted down with the advent of the Christian era.
Brian Stobbs
Jupiter's Eagle was Christianized into the symbol of St. John the Evangelist, so wouldn't have been melted down as an idol. The eagle standards may have been phased out by the 7th Century, after the establishment of the Themes, where the armies of the Magistri militum were settled as part time militia.
aka T*O*N*G*A*R