Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman weapons and culture and Hindus weapons
Hi,
I did notice that Roman weapons and culture is mostly same like
early Hindus weapons and culture what is the reason?
please provide me solution if possible.

with best regards-sajid
The same reason that Dyaus-pita meant "Sky-father" in Sanskrit and Jiu-piter was the sky god of Rome - a shared Indo-European background.
Martin

Fac me cocleario vomere!
I'm not sure I'd attribute it to that. Proto-Indo-European fragmented long before a distinct Roman culture emerged, so I'd think that more often than not, similarities would be due to convergent evolution or cultural diffusion via the Near East.

Sajid, could you give some examples and we could discuss them more specifically?
Dan D'Silva

Far beyond the rising sun
I ride the winds of fate
Prepared to go where my heart belongs,
Back to the past again.

--  Gamma Ray

Well, I'm tough, rough, ready and I'm able
To pick myself up from under this table...

--  Thin Lizzy

Join the Horde! - http://xerxesmillion.blogspot.com/
Hi,
Early Hindus used to swords,archery, knives like these type weapons and wearing torque,
their dresses like roman culture also but in weapons their shape and size different.

regards-sajid
I was mostly referring to culture, as I do not think that the military technology was all that similar. Other than the fact that all swords are sharpened lengths of metal with a handle. At the time of Alexander the Great's invasion of India the Indians used broadswords and long-bows more similar to 14th century English than contemporary Greco-Roman weapons.
Martin

Fac me cocleario vomere!
I'm not familiar with Indian arms contemporary to the Roman republic/empire. I'd be much obliged if you would post some examples so we could compare specific pieces. I haven't had luck finding "romanesque" Indian arms via google search.
I would also like some specific examples of similarities. A look at my coffee-table copy of Lord Egerton's Indian and Oriental Arms and Armour reveals swords like the khanda (a chopping, not a stabbing weapon) and missile weapons like the chakram. I'm certain they had the near-ubiquitous spear and bow, but what armaments did you mean specifically, Sajid?
Nate Hanawalt

"Bonum commune communitatis"
The only thing that comes t mind is the scabbard slide, which in some older books is described as a Roman scabbard - written before Trousdale's work on scabbard slides, or citing works written before Trousdale's. The scabbard slide in India has a Central Asian origin via the Kushans or Sakas though, so that's not really an item anymore. Some similarities between Indian axes and MUCH later Byzantine axes are due to designs migrating west with the Silk Route / Eurasian nomadic movements. The helmet from Taxila is the same as Trajan's column helmet, and Tepe Yahya helmet, and again due to a common Saka ancestor. Forward curving swords which appear in the Sunga or late Mauryan era *may* have Greek origins, but the hilt and blade geometry even at this early stage is considerably different from Hellenisitic types.
Nadeem Ahmad

Eran ud Turan - reconstructing the Iranian and Indian world between Alexander and Islam
https://www.facebook.com/eranudturan

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Severius Acceptus grave: weapons, armor and period CaesarAugustus 7 1,572 02-12-2020, 07:09 PM
Last Post: CaesarAugustus
  Culture Clash in Weapons, Armor, Clothing, Architecture, and More Liburnius 1 1,146 10-11-2017, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Why did the Triarii use different weapons? ILikeTheFallOfTheRepublic 2 1,856 09-01-2017, 05:20 PM
Last Post: Bryan