Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Woman as Syrian archers, or in any miles role
Quote:As far as I know, there were no historical women Syrian archers. Period.
All I'll ask is this, "Why not REAL women archers?" I mean the Totally Real ones. One would think that a group of intelligent, historicity-bent, women would start a group called Sarmatian Women Archers. That idea, of course, is too simple, too realistic, considering the three millenniae of millions of Scythian, Saka, Sauromatae, Sargat, Wusun, Sarmatian, and Alanic, women who were actually archers. :whistle: Cool

I feel like this presents a good opportunity to introduce myself. I've been lurking on the Sarmatian threads for a while now, but I confess I was always too shy to join in!

To make a long story short, I'm a would-be female Sarmatian archer, and I recently started a private Google Group in conjunction with some other female Sarmatians. (We were split vote-wise between a Google and Facebook group, but since there's already a general Eurasian nomad group on Facebook, our other moderator thought we should go the Google route.)

It's actually for SCA people, since the idea came from Arite at the blog Sarmatian In the SCA, but she was kind enough to let me join even though I'm not in the SCA. Counting myself, we've got 6 members so far (all female) and a few others we sent invites out to that haven't responded yet. (We're forming a nice Amazon tribe! Big Grin )

So, rest assured, Alanus, there ARE some more Sarmatians out there!
Hi Holly,

Welcome to the forum! And what a great, historicly correct development on that front. I hope you will share some pictures of your outfits and bows and arrowheads. Being both an archer and a blacksmith, sure you understand my interest. Many happy returns!

PS Hmm, believe it or not, but I have actually BEEN to Wichita at one point in my life :-).
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Salve! There are quite a few all or partially female Roman archer groups in Spain, Italy, Romania, and some in Legio VI Victrix in Los Angeles. All of these are on Facebook, FYI. We in Legio XX would welcome your impressions, though SCA standards are usually too loose for us.

If you do FB, visit "Women in Roman and Ancient Reenacting"
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Thanks for the welcome, both of you!

I agree about SCA standards being too loose. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a proper Roman group in my area. (Wichita, Kansas.) I did find another thread with someone else from Wichita looking for a group, so I replied to that, but it was from three years ago so I'm not sure how much luck I'll have.

PS: I actually joined that FB group today but then accidentally left it, so I'm waiting for my new request to be accepted. :oops:
Hello, Holly! :grin:

I'm so glad to meet another Sarmatian, in this case maybe an "Alana."
Lately, I've not been active here on RAT, simply because discussions on Sarmatiana have dwindled. However, I also follow three or four Facebook groups, sort of as a "guest" member-- Amazons Ancient & Modern, Traditional Archery, and also a Mongol group. I've had a longtime interest in women-warriors because they originated on the steppes, and their preferred weapon was the bow. This is confirmed time and again by their grave goods.

Whatever you do, I applaud you. And remember, the oldest recorded "heroes" were actually heroines. We have Vishpala, who lived somewhere on the steppes during the migration from Sintashta-Andronovo to northern India, the woman who led the Ashvins into battle against the Kela, recorded in the oldest Vedas. And too, we have Penthesilia, queen of the Amazons, inventor of the sagaris (according to Pliny), and killed by Achilles... who wept over her beauty. Another woman warrior is also recorded in China-- Fu Hao, definitely an archer, and a photo of her thumb ring has been posted here on RAT and on my Facebook page. These women lived in an age of chariots, long before cavalry became popular.

Be a straight shooter, and welcome,
Alanus
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
FYI, the other group ( whose admin tells me they added Holly) is Women in Roman and Ancient Reenacting, started by a Spanish woman after I saw a photo of her unit, all women archers, in Madrid. Appears that there are several other all or mostly woman archer groups in Rome and Romania.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Holly, I'm not sure how far away from you it is, but Leg VI will be in York Nebraska this coming Saturday, (the 12th) for an opening of a Roman exhibit at a college there. My wife who portrays a Syrian Archer will be there kitted out, as well as 7 other members of Leg VI, you are welcome to come out to the event and meet us if you'd like to, again I have no idea how far Wichita is from York, but you are more than welcome if you can make it.
M.VAL.BRUTUS
Brandon Barnes
Legio VI Vicrix
www.legionsix.org
Thanks for the welcome, Alanus. Smile

M.VAL.BRUTUS, thanks for the invitation (that's about 4 hours from me) but I'd actually planned to begin working on my Sarmatian clothing this weekend.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Syrian Auxiliaries tDub248 5 2,354 06-09-2009, 03:01 AM
Last Post: tDub248