Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Classis Syriaca in the Bar Kokhba War
(01-25-2016, 06:02 PM)Renatus Wrote: A major revolt in Judaea could well require reinforcements to brought in from elsewhere in Asia Minor.

True. Reinforcements did come from the Danube provinces, and possibly from Raetia and Germania too, so anything's possible!

(01-25-2016, 06:02 PM)Renatus Wrote: probably undertaking naval engagements to protect or recover coastal cities from the rebels... equally could relate to naval operations in 67

I've had a look through Smallwood's book, which is generally excellent on the revolt. In this case, though, I'm not sure if I agree. The scope of the revolt, and the area 'conquered' by the rebels, seems to have been limited to inland Judea, particularly around Hebron and the hills south of Jerusalem, and the area around the Dead Sea, perhaps spreading east into Arabia. Samaria, Galilee and the coastal areas don't seem to have been affected.

Still, again, it's possible. What I was wondering, though, is whether we have evidence of any sort of land-based campaign roles for marine troops or seamen, perhaps non-combat, that might have earned their commander an award? I vaguely remember that Jasper Oorthuys came up with a theory about fleet personnel doing something in Arabia...
Nathan Ross

Messages In This Thread
RE: Classis Syriaca in the Bar Kokhba War - by Nathan Ross - 01-26-2016, 01:46 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Classis Britannica in Scotland Lianachan 8 3,864 03-19-2011, 07:20 PM
Last Post: Lianachan
  New CLASSIS-soldier (!!) tombstone discovered in Italy Luca 124 30,576 02-06-2007, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Quintus Julius Furius