Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Classis Syriaca in the Bar Kokhba War
(01-29-2016, 08:18 PM)Nathan Ross Wrote:
(01-28-2016, 08:25 PM)LVCIVS SERGIVS ANTONINVS Wrote: Ancient Warfare VOL.IV Issue 4 intitled "Fleets of the empire"... maintaining commnunications and police operations as the necessity arose. Maybe the answer could be found looking at the syrian fleet marines acting against the judean rebels in this role.

Do you mean VOL.V, issue 5? I've just got that one... [Image: wink.png]

Yes, that could well be right. Marines and naval personnel were used against bandits and rebels, and the suppression of the Bar Kokhba revolt was largely a sort of guerilla war, so some kind of 'police operation' role could fit well.

Actually, with all those caves used by the rebels, I wonder if the marines and sailors were used as tunnel fighters? The 'cave of the letters' near En Gedi is high in a ravine, with a Roman camp on the clifftop above it - maybe some 'nautical ropework' was involved in taking it?

Well, I'm happy to see that maybe I was useful.

By the way, my paper edition reads VOL.IV issue 4 "Darkness descends: End of the Bronze Age Empires". Maybe some difference between paper and digital editions? I don't now.

regards

Toni
SI VIS PACEM COLE IVSTITIAM

NVLLA SINE DIGNITATE FELICITAS

LVCIVS SERGIVS ANTONINVS - Toni Sagarra

Messages In This Thread
RE: Classis Syriaca in the Bar Kokhba War - by LVCIVS SERGIVS ANTONINVS - 01-29-2016, 08:50 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Classis Britannica in Scotland Lianachan 8 3,859 03-19-2011, 07:20 PM
Last Post: Lianachan
  New CLASSIS-soldier (!!) tombstone discovered in Italy Luca 124 30,521 02-06-2007, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Quintus Julius Furius