Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Squamata Construction
Ave Milites!

I have a question for you fine gents (my first post, be gentle), I've decided to jump head first into the American Late Roman scene and put together a kit for a member of the Palatina Auxilaries.  While I am sure to have a plethora of questions for you wise scholars in the coming months, my first question is in regards to constructing a set of lorica squamata.   While I have located numerous sources (thanks to the legio xx page) on how to cut and create the individual squamae, I have been unable to find a satisfactory guide on how to assemble the darn things especially once you reach the arm and neck line.  Anyone know of any resources that might help guide me?  I noticed several posts regarding squamata construction from years back but the links posted in said conversations are now broken.  Thanks for the help!

Matt Pikaard

barba philosophum no facit.
(02-12-2016, 07:21 PM)MagisterMilitum Wrote: Ave Milites!

I have a question for you fine gents (my first post, be gentle), I've decided to jump head first into the American Late Roman scene and put together a kit for a member of the Palatina Auxilaries.  While I am sure to have a plethora of questions for you wise scholars in the coming months, my first question is in regards to constructing a set of lorica squamata.   While I have located numerous sources (thanks to the legio xx page) on how to cut and create the individual squamae, I have been unable to find a satisfactory guide on how to assemble the darn things especially once you reach the arm and neck line.  Anyone know of any resources that might help guide me?  I noticed several posts regarding squamata construction from years back but the links posted in said conversations are now broken.  Thanks for the help!

You mean the Auxilia Palatinae of course? Wink

On assembling the scales, well that's where the opinions differ. Unfortunately there are no 100% doubt-free resources available, and no lorica sqyamata has survived to enlighten us.

There are currently 3 methods around:
1 - the 'chape' version (or whatever it's called). This has a circular section around the neck (various closing solutions). It's the one I followed, and although we don't have complete proof for this it's actually the most used by LR reenactors

2 - add scales until they meet at the shoulder, then sew them together. 

3 - add a classic shoulder pad over the shoulkders like the old Roman hamata and the musculata armours. I don't have a picture right now.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Thank you for your response! That clears up much of my confusion. Guess its time to start cutting some sheet.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Questions regarding construction of a Lorica Squamata cannonfodder90 3 1,315 02-09-2020, 08:48 AM
Last Post: Crispianus
  Squamata construction Crispvs 22 9,985 10-26-2018, 09:45 AM
Last Post: agrimensor