Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auxiliary Cavalry H Heddernheim Helmet
A quick question on the above helmet to help with a reconstruction I am having made. I know the helmet bowl is iron with copper alloy decoration, but is that also the case for the cheekpieces as well?<br>
<br>
I suspect it is, but I could do with confirmation. Maybe someone has seen the original and seen the inside of the cheekpieces.<br>
<br>
Many thanks in advance if you can help.<br>
<br>
Andrew<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Andrew,<br>
if you are referring to the one decorated with serpents, the (one) surviving cheekpiece is cupric alloy, with engraved Victory and delicately embossed hair pattern. I have handled this piece and have silicon molds taken directly off the original in Frankfurt.<br>
<br>
Dan <p></p><i></i>
Hi Dan,<br>
<br>
Yes thank you, that is the one. The one with the serpent decoration and one remaining cheekpiece. Did I really write that?<br>
<br>
So if I understand you correctly the cheekpiece is solid cupric alloy. Perhaps I should have suspected as much. After all a solid cupric alloy cheekpiece from a very similar helmet was found at South Shields only a mile or so from where I am typing this now.<br>
<br>
On my reconstruction the L/H cheekpiece will have a mirror image of the R/H one. On the South Shields one though, I suspect the image would have different on the R/H cheekpiece. One showing Castor, the other Pollox.<br>
<br>
Andrew<br>
<p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p200.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=sassanid@romanarmytalk>Sassanid</A> at: 3/18/05 5:23 pm<br></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Burial in Chattalka of a cavalry officer from the Roman auxiliary and his belt. Rado 9 3,440 11-02-2017, 09:54 AM
Last Post: Rado
  Re: 1st century Auxiliary cavalry jvrjenivs 44 8,628 07-03-2011, 01:59 PM
Last Post: garrelt
  1st century Auxiliary cavalry scotti73 22 6,010 07-03-2011, 12:01 AM
Last Post: twocvbloke