<br>
www.earlyperiod.com/artic...dalmatica/<br>
<p>Valete,<br>
Dave/Cicero<br>
<br>
QUI DESIDERAT PACEM PRAEPARAT BELLUM<br>
<br>
www.freewebs.com/seguntienses/index.htm</p><i></i>
But the pattern looks a little bit awful... And that is a pity, because the overall trimming looks good.<br>
Ah, and the late military tunic was not called 'dalmatica', that is a blunder. Perhaps 'vestis strictoria'... What do you think, Graham?<br>
<br>
Aitor <p></p><i></i>
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
The Vestis Militaris Codex ( see Sheridan, J.A. Colombia Papyrus IX , 'The Vestis Militaris Codex', Atlanta, 1988) names two types of Tunic, the Dalmatica and the Sticharion. The Sticharion is the most frequently named and may take it's name from the Greek word for striped perhaps a reference to Clavi. Other military requisitions from Egypt also refer to these two tunics.

Although the Dalmatica is linked to the emperor Elagabalus (218-22) it would not be because it reminded him of his native land Dalmatia because he was born in Syria.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
M. Pausch (Pausch, Matthias: Die römische Tunika. Ein Beitrag zur Peregrinisierung der antiken Kleidung, Wißner Verlag 2003) regards wide sleeves as the defining characteristic of the dalmatica, and has some good quotes for it. He addresses the military tunic of late antiquity as a 'tunica manicata', but I'm not sure I share his trust in an exact, stable terminology at the time. Good book, though, if you don't mind reading dense German.
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
it may not have been so in roman times, but I just saw a 6th century byzantine tunic at the metropolitan museum of art that had its clavii woven in, but the hem tape, and cuff sections had sewn on trim! it definently belonged to a rich man, it was cotton, and had intricate patterns.
aka., John Shook

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Helmet Trim Purplest 7 2,116 09-10-2015, 02:10 PM
Last Post: Purplest
  Machining brass helmet trim!!!!! Manius Acilius Italicus 12 3,144 08-09-2012, 02:57 PM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius