Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Textile subarmalis / new approach
Hi Folks!
Based on some considerations about the Dura Europos textile backings and the find from Vindonissa I am currently trying to make some similar things on a weaving frame. Here is a first try of a pterges strip. It needs to be woven better, but it gives a first idea. This stuff is, as first small tests show, extremely resistant to stabs and slashes. It is also quick to make. This piece took me about half an hour of work, and it was my first one. I used linen thread Nm 0,2/2. For the next one I will slightly wax the linen first. I think it would be better to use a NM 0,5/2 for a denser fabric, but I will now try out this one first for a while, since I have 4 kg of it. ^^

The tassels are easily made as well, I am using a curl twister to make them, which I found with a Barbie puppet in a toy store. Works well. Had twelve warp threads, now six tassels. Any suggestions are very welcome.

Cheers! C.

[attachment=3363]IMG_0704.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Very nice!

Legion: TBD
Not too shabby!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I made another one, this time with weft twining, which is the technique used for the Dura textiles. It is a bit thicker, and even less penetrable. Takes about 30 minutes to make one. Maybe double warp would be better in regard of the tassels...

[attachment=3491]IMG_0810.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Christian K.

Very nice sir
Sulpicius Florus

(aka. Steve Thompson)

"What? this old Loculus? had it years dear."
"Vescere bracis meis" (eat my shorts)
Is the second one with the waxed thread? Looks a much tighter weave.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
(03-24-2012, 11:24 PM)Vindex Wrote: Is the second one with the waxed thread?  Looks a much tighter weave.

Thread necromancer says: yes!
Christian K.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ornate pugio plates - a possible easy approach? Tarbicus 15 2,943 05-19-2007, 11:01 AM
Last Post: Marcus Mummius