Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lorica segmentata construction help
(02-22-2018, 12:53 AM)Dudicus Wrote: https://www.larp.com/legioxx/lorica.html

Also try to get a hold of “Lorica Segmentata” I & II by Dr. MC Bishop, you ought to be able to find it online on Scribd or Academia.edu
but can also find a hard copy out there.

Also recommended is Bishop & Coulton’s “Roman Military Equipment”, worth its weight in gold.  While it doesn’t really have construction information, it does have a lot of great illustrations and diagrams of actual artifacts so good for reference.

Unfortunately I couldn’t see the test suit photo.

I was able to get copper “roofing nails” at the local hardware store, for a fairly good price a few years ago.  They seem to work really good for most of the Seg plates and fittings.  I went to Leg XX’s website and to RJ Leahy Co. for some boxes of domed copper rivets...I still have a ton of them left...I’d say go with the longest length of shank you need and then clip down as needed. (I got 3 different lengths which turned out to be overkill on my part, ah well)

I have also seen copper rivets from Tandy Leather (even offered with copper circle rivets), although I’ve gone to a local hobby shop and got a few sheets of brass (ca 20ga) and just drill & snip out a ton of washers and then round over the corners.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lorica segmentata construction help - by 9thlegion - 02-22-2018, 02:23 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lorica Segmentata Hardware. Marcus33 0 278 10-28-2021, 05:02 AM
Last Post: Marcus33
  Questions regarding construction of a Lorica Squamata cannonfodder90 3 1,348 02-09-2020, 08:48 AM
Last Post: Crispianus
  Advice on removing rust from Lorica Segmentata Adriangunn 6 3,957 02-16-2017, 11:20 PM
Last Post: Mervlvs