Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mainz trip (RAT gathering, 15-18 FEB 02)
Perfect. Normally is not prudent to park my caravan near a station, I will look for a place in one of the parkings near the hotel, so we can easily reach your hotel.<br>
<br>
For me it is good to sleep in the caravan. Martin? <p></p><i></i>
Luca Bonacina
Provincia Cisalpina - Mediolanum
www.cisalpina.net
Luca, I appreciate your offer very much! What do I need to bring with me for a stay in your caravan?<br>
<br>
About the segmentata: Seems I have to phone the man responsible for it tomorrow as there's no answer until now - and tomorrow at noon the carnival starts in Mainz! This could cause quite irregular working hours even in the museums until tuesday next week...<br>
<br>
Greetings,<br>
<br>
Martin/Magister Navis <p></p><i></i>
Finally!<br>
I now got the permission for us to visit the RGZM workshops and see the Stillfried <i> segmentata</i> there ("don't be too disappointed, as it is in pieces").<br>
Will be on Monday 18th, 10:00 h, so don't plan your leaving too early. Proposal for tour schedule to follow soon!<br>
<br>
Greetings,<br>
<br>
Martin/Magister Navis <p></p><i></i>
OK! That's great news, Martin.<br>
<br>
Will all the participants please send me your email addresses so I can confirm final arrangements and make my phone number, etc. available privately? Thanks--<br>
<br>
J. <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
Now here's my tour schedule proposal:<br>
<br>
Friday 15th: Meeting of the "RAT pack“ around noon (or earlier?), place to be determined; in the afternoon visit to the Landesmuseum, afterwards a look at some of the roman "outdoor“ monuments in Mainz (see below).<br>
<br>
Saturday 16th: Visit to the RGZM (without the workshops), the Museum für antike Schiffahrt and other "outdoor“ monuments in Mainz.<br>
<br>
Sunday 17th: A trip to some museums around Mainz: Worms, Bad Kreuznach, and Wiesbaden - with lunch break in a restaurant in a small village famous for its schnitzels.<br>
<br>
Monday 18th: 10:00 h visit to the RGZM’s restoration workshops including a look at the Stillfried <i> lorica segmentata</i>; afterwards we are invited to see the wood conservation unit at the Museum für antike Schiffahrt. We should be through this at early afternoon, so most of us could get home the same evening.<br>
<br>
The "outdoor monuments" in Mainz include the remains of an aquaeduct, the supposed kenotaph of Drusus („Eichelstein“), the excavations of the biggest roman stage theater north of the Alps, one of the late roman <i> canabae</i> gates, the bridgehead across the Rhine at Kastel with the foundations of a monumental arch, and part of a street of graves displayed <i> in situ</i> at Mainz-Weisenau. Some of the sites are not freely accessible at this time of the year and are subject to further confirmation (theater & arch at Kastel).<br>
<br>
The above schedule should be possible without too much rushing or hurrying, but if we want to stay longer at certain museums or sites, we can leave out others "of minor importance“. On the other hand, if we decide that we want to see as much as possible during our tour, we could think about including a visit to the Museum für Vor- und Frühgeschichte in Frankfurt.<br>
On Monday a few colleagues of mine (2-4) will join us (at least) for the workshop visit.<br>
<br>
Would appreciate to hear your opinion about all that!<br>
<br>
Luca, on the map of Mainz I found that there’s a public swimming pool close to the central train station; usually they have large car parks nearby – maybe this is a possibility to park your motorcaravan.<br>
<br>
Greetings,<br>
<br>
Martin/Magister Navis<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Kudos, Martin! Looks like a very productive four days. I'll be bringing my minicam and taking lots of photos for the RomanArmy.com travelogue that will surely follow.<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
Jenny <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
Wow, looks good Martin.<br>
About starting time Friday, Sander and I will leave from Nijmegen at about 8:30. Noon would probably be the earliest possibility for us. <p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
It seems great!<br>
For caravan details I sent you an email at the address you indicated in your profile.<br>
If you have not received it send an email to [email protected] I will send you back the infos.<br>
I will leave next thursday morning so I will no more have the chance to check email and forum. Try on my mobile.<br>
Ciao Martin and all.<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Luca Bonacina
www.cisalpina.net
Probably we should meet at the hotel noonish for lunch. All agree? I believe Dan Peterson will be joining us also.<br>
<br>
Cheers-<br>
J. <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny

Salve,<br>
<br>
The schedule looks great! I am looking forward to it.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>
Yup, we'll do our best. You don't have a mobile phone, do you Jenny? <p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
I could actually bring one, I suppose. Have been resisting the "call of the handy" for a year and a half!<br>
<br>
J.<br>
<br>
Just look, it's only taken us 40 posts to put this trip together! E EM I can't wait. <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny

I think a good parking spot for the Caravan (and my van too) would be the gravel lot next to the "Reduit" (redoubt) directly on the river at Mainz-Kastel, almost directly across the Rhine from RGZM, and quite near the LEG XIIII-built arch foundations. Incidentally, the redoubt, a baroque military fortress, contains the Kastell "Heimat" Museum which may be open on Sunday. There should be some Roman military exhibits there, including some of our very early LEG XIIII armor reconstruction which the museum "inherited". These include my first Roman helmet, the Aux B from the Mz. Landesmuseum, hand-forged from a brass 105mm tank-gun round in 1980 while still on active duty. This may have been the "first" metal Roman helmet in the reenactment world. At the time, the ESG helmets were all fiberglass. Hope to see you all, Dan. <p></p><i></i>
It seems a good idea this parking. Also for the museum!<br>
Have you got a map available somewhere on the web about it?<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Luca Bonacina
www.cisalpina.net
Martin,<br>
I found the Mainz-Kastel parking (close to the local railway station) as told by Dan, but I'm not able to find the swimming pool you mentioned close to the main railway station. Do you have the correct address?<br>
Where do you prefer to meet? <p></p><i></i>
Luca Bonacina
www.cisalpina.net