Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mainz trip (RAT gathering, 15-18 FEB 02)
Let's meet at 1200 in the hotel lobby. Sounds OK? Then maybe we go have lunch all together and get acquainted.<br>
<br>
J. <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
Fine, unless we get stuck in a big Ruhrgebiet Stau, we'll be there! <p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Fine for me, too!<br>
A minor correction to the hotel address: it's SCHOTTstr. 6, not Schottenstr., as in the hotel's name.<br>
<br>
Luca, the area of the indoor/outdoor swimming pool on my map (not the best one, though) lies about 200-300 m (south)west of the main railway station. Don't know it personally nor do I have an address, but a car park is surely nearby. If you can get a city map (at any filling station when approaching Mainz), it should be easy to find it. From there, it's only a short walk to the hotel; I'd say, let's meet there with the others at 12:00 h and decide about the rest then. I don't have a mobile phone, by the way...<br>
<br>
Have a good trip!<br>
<br>
Martin/Magister Navis <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/umagisternavis.showPublicProfile?language=EN>Magister Navis</A> at: 2/13/02 1:00:24 am<br></i>
that's fine for me. See you tomorrow.<br>
Ciao<br>
Luca <p></p><i></i>
Luca Bonacina
Provincia Cisalpina - Mediolanum
www.cisalpina.net
I am *intensely* envious! <p>Aulus, Legio XX.
the HIGH NOISE/low signal person for RAT.
ICQ 940236
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Just hop a flight to Frankfurt and you're virtually there! E EM<br>
<br>
Don't fret, there will certainly be a travelogue to follow.<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
Jenny <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
OK, since there were no takers for the spare room, I have cancelled it.<br>
<br>
We have for this trip:<br>
<br>
Jasper and Sander from NL<br>
Luca and friends(?) from Italy<br>
Martin and friends from DE<br>
Me and Dan from the US (tho' living in DE)<br>
and possibly two French friends of Dan's<br>
<br>
If anyone else is planning to show up, please speak up now!<br>
<br>
The rally point is the Hotel Schottenhof at 1200 Friday. If you are delayed for some reason, you can leave a message for Jenny or Jasper at 06131-232968 (inside Germany) or 049-6131-232968 outside Germany.<br>
<br>
Should be fun, particularly the "inside look" at the Austrian lorica being conservated.<br>
<br>
Cheers--<br>
Jenny<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny

Jenny: daft request time. If you get to see the Stillfried armour, could you ask how thick it is - when I was there I demonstrated my own thickness by forgetting to measure that. Although much of it is pretty grotty (not as grotty as Corbridge, though!) there are places where they could get a reasonable measurement. They're bound to have some plastic-jawed calipers somewhere around.<br>
<br>
Mike Bishop <p></p><i></i>
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Will ask and see. Alternatively I have a machinist's rule that might serve.<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
J. <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny

Hope you've all enjoyed yourselves and've come back with lots of useful things for the website <p></p><i></i>
In the name of heaven Catiline, how long do you propose to exploit our patience..
Well, have arrived home after a an action-packed four days of inscriptions, sculpture, reconstructions, ships, and best of all, an up-close-and-personal examination of the Stillfried segmentata! We visited museums and sites in Mainz, Worms, Bad Kreuznach, and Wiesbaden.<br>
<br>
Mike, I got your measurements -- although with a caveat. Both the restorer and the director (Markus Egg) said that the iron was fully oxidized so there's no base metal to measure. The measurement is at best a variable estimate. However, the lames are about 1 mm thick, the thin bronze edging (!) is .5mm thick, and the leather remnants would have been about 2-3mm thick. Dan Peterson took enough measurements to serve for a reconstruction which I presume he and Steve Greeley will begin soon.<br>
<br>
Highlights to follow soon!<br>
<br>
Other attendees, please share your reflections on the weekend! Was great fun, a lot of laughs during meals, and some very good ideas generated for RomanArmy.com and JAMS.<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
Jenny <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny

Dan, wanted to mail a scan of that painted tombstone to you, but apparently your e-mail adress is not in your profile. Could you mail it to me on [email protected] ?<br>
<br>
And yes, we got home too (to Nijmegen anyway!), tired but very happy! <p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Many thanks for those - no suprises there, not least because most lorica seg is unmeasurable in terms of the thickness (certainly true of the Corbridge and Zugmantel finds) precisely because of the overwhelming desire of iron to return to its native state (as the chassis of my landrover constantly reminds me). The copper-alloy edging has turned up on the recent Leon finds too.<br>
<br>
Mike Bishop <p></p><i></i>
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Reached home safe and tired, still thinking and discussing about those very strange hooks at the sides of the Stillfried cuirass...<br>
<br>
I bet Luca is still trying to pronounce "Kackepäckchenpacker" correctly!<br>
<br>
Jasper, would you please forward Dan's email address to me when you receive it?<br>
<br>
Greetings,<br>
<br>
Martin (Ex-Magister Navis from now on) <p></p><i></i>
Hi Martin, ( E EM about doggie bags)<br>
<br>
There unfortunately isn't a way to change your user name, but if you want you can always start a new account as Martin Wieland.<br>
<br>
We should talk about this in the Reconstruction section, but I also am very intrigued by the hooks. Has anyone thought that they might be useful for keeping a shield sling in position?<br>
<br>
Cheers--<br>
Jenny <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny