Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Call for Sources: Extant Scale and Lamellar with Fabric/Hide Intact
Thanks Crispianus. I am fully booked right now, but roughly, I think I already have the fragments of scale armour in Oxford or Cambridge, I don't have the gorget from Dervini or the lamellar from Karanis.

What name or handle should I use when I acknowledge you in the footnotes? Feel free to PM me or write to the email address on the "about" page of my blog.

I was not able to contact the Jellica museum or Nadeem Ahmad of Eran ud Turan.

Here is Petros Themelis' catalogue entry for the gorget, with a mix of Google translate and my own translation. Could anyone who speaks Modern Greek help?

Β46. Μηνοειδές περιτραχήλιον (Πίν. 19, 95)
=========================================
Ελλιπές κατά τον πυρήνα και την κατακόρυφη ταινία προστασίας του λαιμού (κολλάρου). Αποκατάθηκε και συμπληρώηκε με δέρμα. Λιακοσμημένο μεχάλκινεσ πεταλόσχημες φολίδες, σιην ευθύγραμμη χορδή των οποίων από τρεισ οπές πρόσδεσής. Μέγ. άνοιγμα 0,225 μ.

Β. 46 Crescent-shaped gorget (pictures 19, 95)

Incomplete in the core and the upright standing band around the throat (collar). Restored and supplemented with leather. Decorated with πεταλόοχημες bronze scales in a straight line, with three anchor holes. Max. opening 0.225 m.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Call for Sources: Extant Scale and Lamellar with Fabric/Hide Intact - by Sean Manning - 08-17-2019, 11:45 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  scale/lamellar armour SAJID 7 2,549 05-19-2017, 12:25 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Lamellar vs. Scale Armour Eleatic Guest 5 3,645 04-17-2015, 01:23 PM
Last Post: Dan Howard
  Intact Roman vexillum from Egypt DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS 36 10,185 03-10-2014, 08:57 PM
Last Post: Titvs Statilivs Castvs