Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would jeweler's brass make an effective shield boss?
Hello,

I once again beg for your technical advice.  I've found a relatively cheap source of jeweler's brass, which I understand to be the same thing as red brass and jeweler's bronze, an 85:15 percent mix of copper and zinc.  It's supposed to look more like typical high-tin bronze than common yellow brass does.  So I was thinking of using it for one of those flat violin shield bosses and a domed boss for a center-gripped shield.  Is 14-gauge red brass likely to hold up to any degree of reenactment fighting, or is it too soft and/or thin?

Also, for anyone who's forged their own bosses, is it likely to lose a significant amount of diameter when shaped?  Is 6 inches too small to fit over a 5-inch hole?  If it makes any difference, I'm planning to affix them with a large number of escutcheon pins instead of a small number of rivets.
Dan D'Silva

Far beyond the rising sun
I ride the winds of fate
Prepared to go where my heart belongs,
Back to the past again.

--  Gamma Ray

Well, I'm tough, rough, ready and I'm able
To pick myself up from under this table...

--  Thin Lizzy

Join the Horde! - http://xerxesmillion.blogspot.com/

Messages In This Thread
Would jeweler's brass make an effective shield boss? - by Dan D'Silva - 08-18-2019, 09:54 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to make a Greek shield from a Winter UFO sled MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS 1 2,538 08-27-2012, 06:49 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius